Upgrading Old Pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

xXx-Tricky-xXx

In Runtime
Hey, my stats of my pc are in my sig below so it is about 4 year old computer but it is in need of a little bit of upgrading.

I dont do any serious gaming, I *attempt* to play oblivion on it, i say attempt because its generally pretty bad framerate and studders alot when on MEDIUM settings. I also plan to buy starcraft 2 when it comes out... WHEN. lol

My question is, would upping my processor and an extra gig of ram do much good? ram seems to be much cheaper these days and since i still use xp 32bit 3gigs is the limit. my processor is old and slow so i was hoping i could find a faster one of the same type thats maybe 2.6ghz to 3.0ghz and that they would be pretty cheap. but its hard to find any non AM2 processors.

I only have around 75-100 dollars to spend so i didnt add a new video card to the equation.

Thanks

ah well crap... thanks for looking through ebay for me. :) appreciate it.

i was fearing since these processors are absolete and wouldnt be able to find many of them.

would a new video card for under 100 bucks be an effective move then?

like one of these? or are they too budget priced to be much better than mine?

Galaxy GeForce GT 220 Video Card - 1024MB DDR2, PCI-Express 2.0, DVI, HDMI, VGA at TigerDirect.com

EVGA GeForce 9500 GT Video Card - 1GB DDR2, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Support, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, VGA Support at TigerDirect.com

those cards would actually be a downgrade..i would aim for a 4850 if possible.

Those CPUs are expensive! Check out craigslist, sometimes good deals come on there. I would actually feel guilty if i sold my opteron 170 for $80 as i would feel i ripped that person off... these CPUs shouldn't go above $50 ... maybe $60-65 for the FX60 or 62.

hmm, well since a new CPU is pretty much out of the question unless i want to spend an extra 100 on a new mobo...

would another gig of ram *making it a total of 3* help improve anything at all? and what type of ram would i have to get since my ram is pretty old?
(i ask this because oblivion takes alot of memory i would assume)

or would it be better to buy this video card even though i hate spending over 100 bucks but if its worth it i would. however, since my cpu is only a 2.0ghz would there even be any point? i mean the video card would run faster than the cpu and the data wouldnt be able to keep up. wouldnt it just be a waste of money?

Newegg.com - XFX HD-485X-ZDFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

or even

Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom