Core 2 Duo Vs Dual Core?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFCJohnSmith

In Runtime
I currently have an Intel Dual Core 2.2 GHz CPU in my PC, I have looked at what options are available to me when it comes to upgrading my cpu and I am limited to just dual core cpu's. I was looking at the Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz Processor and was just wondering whether it would offer a large increase in performance over the CPU I have in at the moment? Do you think it would be worth the investment?

what mobo do you currently have? what cpu do you currently have (model)? which cpu were you looking at (model)?

I would say that the improvement would be quite large indeed.

I won't go in to elaborate detail, because it's against the rules of this forum. I use my computers to play ALL types of games (figure it out on your own), and certain newer games required quite a bit of processing power. I can tell you that most Made-For-PC games will not see a gigantic increase in performance, but in general you should get a 30% or 40% boost from the raw MHZ jump.

Also, the 3.06ghz core2duo would be much more likely to overclock to around 3.4 or 3.5ghz with relative ease, even with air cooling.

I personally would suggest getting yourself an E8400, as it's only $167 on newegg currently, and MANY MANY people on this forum have had experience with overclocking and playing around with this chip. The E8400 tends to be an excellent overclocker, and the price is pretty good.

My current mobo is the foxconn 45gm, my current cpu is an Intel pentium Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz 539MHz.

The CPU I was looking at is this one:
Scan.co.uk: BX80571E7600 - Intel Core 2 Duo E7600, S775, Wolfdale, 3.06 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 3MB Cache, 11.5x Ratio, 65W, Retail

Iwould like to add I have no plans to upgrade my mobo and I also have no plans to overclock my CPU, I also dont play games on my PC either, I just want to extend the life of my PC and get it to work a bit faster. I want to know is would the CPU I am looking at give me a much larger boost in CPU speed and how much of a boost would it give me?

Well I'm not sure if CPU upgrade only will increase a speed for normal operation.
How much memory do you have in your system? Than could help as well and sometimes does a magic.

^Correct LFC, It supports c2d upto 1066mhz fsb but noit 45nm chips.

As Muffy showed, theres a few that fit the description, then the die shrunk.

Its like my 690i Says it supports c2qs but not any of the 45nm chips, just the 65nm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom