Power Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

dagger576

Baseband Member
I just got all the parts for a new computer. You can check out the list here. I've got everything assembled, but when I try to turn on the power,it comes on for just a few moments then shuts off. The only thing I can think of is I may have the motherboard plugged in incorrectly. I decided to go with the OCZ power supply in the mentioned thread. The motherboard has two plugs, a 24 pin and an 8 pin near the CPU. The PSU has a 2x10 and a 2x2 for the main power and two 2x2 for the CPU. I looked at the schematics in both the PSU and the motherboard booklet, but the cords themselves have no markings to tell which way they would go in. Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions?

Alright, nevermind... I took a look and they make the power plug pretty much foolproof so I think I've got it in there properly. I started trouble shooting, and realized that I've not been able to get my video card to sit in the pci spot very well. The back end will latch, but for some reason it wont insert the front end. To see if that might have something to do with it, I disconnected the power from the video card. (It has a 6 pin PCI-E power port that my PSU plugs right into). When I did that, I was able to turn the power on and it stayed on seemingly indefinitley. I turned it on and off a few times and all seemed well. So, I attempted to put the video card back in, and still couldn't get it to fit just right. At a point, I thought I had it close, so I tried to power on the machine. Nothing. I flipped switches and made sure it wasn't just some kind of a funky circuit, still no change.
At this point, I was thinking I just had a bad PSU, as I realized it wasn't coming on at all. I couldn't get it to go, so I unplugged it from the mobo thinking that it should at least come on.... and it didn't. I was all set to call newegg about it, when on a whim I decided to plug in my old power supply which I know works. As soon as I unplugged it from the motherboard, it stopped turning on. Is that something power supplies are known to do?

At this point I'm wondering if maybe there's a short somewhere. I'm about to take the motherboard out of the case entirely and see what happens.

Okay, this is my last post before I call it a night. To try and test the power supply, I took the motherboard completely out of the case and set it on a piece of non-static foam. I plugged the power supply into the motherboard, made sure my connections were solid, then tried the PSU. nothing still. I went ahead and plugged in the GPU and put power to it, just in case that was necessary for some reason, and still nothing. At this point, I'm mostly sure that it's a bad PSU... What do you guys think?

Your problem might just be the video card not being seated correctly in the first place, but the more I read your trial and errors you might have shorted something from your attempts.

If your psu is not plugged into the motherboard, you'll need to use maybe a paper clip to jumper the pins to turn it on, else it just stays off even plugged into an electrical outlet.

From your earlier post, you said the computer turns on for a few seconds, right? Now when you try it, nothing happens at all?

Okay, I went at it again to see what could be figured out. I test my new PSU on my old system, and it worked. I then tested my old PSU on my new system... and it worked. I realized then that part of the problem before had been a bad switch on my case. I'm now using the Reset button to power it on,and that seems to be working... BUT. Once I got everything back in its case, it started having problems again. I tested the mobo right after I installed it, and everything (cpu, gpu, lights) all came on. After connecting the rest of the cords when I tried to start it, all I got was a flicker of lights and the PSU fan would twitch. That's it. So, I started unplugging the things connected to power. I got down to just the CPU and the MOBO and still just a twitch of the PSU fan. I then tested the PSU on my old system again, still working. At this point, I'm wondering if maybe the motherboard is touching the case. The case itself has proven to be questionable with other things before, so I'm thinking that may be it. I've still got the piece of anti-static foam the mobo came with, so I'm thinking about putting that behind the motherboard and trying to screw it down and see if that works. Any thoughts?

try switching the power on and reset wires on the motherboard. i am talking about the eight single wires that plug to the motherboard. it could be that your case has the switches different than what the manual says.

I lucked out... It turns out the motherboard was touching the case causing a short. I fixed the stand-offs and it's working like a dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom