Couple Questions for High End Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloodzero

Solid State Member
Trying to figure out which card I should go with. I saw that the 5850 now supports DX11? They will be going into SLI/Crossfire of course. The GTX 285 seems pricier and is lower on the list of graphic cards.

Also curious as to if I should go with Liquid Cooling or using a fan. My friend swears fans are "where it's at."

If you're going to be OCing your card, you might need to water cool it. Otherwise air is fine.

As to which card you should go with, the 5850 is fine if you can't get a 5870.

for a good loop it will run about $200... so unless you want to do some SERIOUS oc'ing i'd just stick with air as it's cheaper/requires less maitnence/etc and still gets you decent temps.

I was leaning more towards the ATI card anyways. Gonna save me about 200 bucks if I go with the 5850 instead of the 5870. This system is already costing me a fortune.

Would anyone recommend overclocking a AMD 965? Or is that just overkill?
If it's recommended, are there are guides or anything that give instructions how to do it? I've never done it before and don't want to take the chance in messing anything up with some random online guide I find.

If you haven't overclocked anything before I might suggest starting off on something *slightly* cheaper.

That being said, so long as you go slowly, there isn't much of a chance you're going to break anything anyway. If you decide you want to give it a go (and I recommend you do), then post a new thread up when you've put this puppy together.

If you want to save some money get the AMD 955 instead of the 965, you can easily overclock the 955 to the same clock speed of 965.

I was leaning more towards the ATI card anyways. Gonna save me about 200 bucks if I go with the 5850 instead of the 5870. This system is already costing me a fortune.

Would anyone recommend overclocking a AMD 965? Or is that just overkill?
If it's recommended, are there are guides or anything that give instructions how to do it? I've never done it before and don't want to take the chance in messing anything up with some random online guide I find.

Where are you buying the PC at? Are you building it yourself? Retail, those cards are about a $100 difference in price. The 965 C3 stepping would be a great overclocker.

I agree with Burn, just use air for now and if you get really into it and feel the need for it later, then do it up :D

If you want to save some money get the AMD 955 instead of the 965, you can easily overclock the 955 to the same clock speed of 965.

Why do people always suggest that? I'm not trying to be rude or anything, just curious. Why get something to overclock to 3.4 when you can get something that starts at 3.4 and overclock from there? Its only $25 more on newegg.

Again, I'm not trying to be rude just don't understand. I don't really understand how overclocking works as I've never done it before, though I would like to learn.

Why do people always suggest that? I'm not trying to be rude or anything, just curious. Why get something to overclock to 3.4 when you can get something that starts at 3.4 and overclock from there? Its only $25 more on newegg.

Again, I'm not trying to be rude just don't understand. I don't really understand how overclocking works as I've never done it before, though I would like to learn.

If you don't want to read a lot, then this is the key take away: GET THE MOST FOR YOUR MONEY BY SAVING AND GETTING THE SAME PERFORMANCE FOR LESS

It's like anything else out there.... if you build or do something yourself you will find the results more pleasing. If you simply just buy into a factory-built item you will end up paying more than necessary when a little bit of reading and time could bring better results.

For example, and I will address the CPU soon, I do ALL the maintenance and tuning of my motorcycle which involves a USB-controlled fuel/air mixture electronic to adjust the horsepower/output so you can trade off mpgs for power and vice versa. I could have paid someone a few hundred to find out the best settings for my bike, but instead I spent an afternoon reading up on the matter looking at charts for averages of people with the same hardware and bikes. I traded my own time and labor for paying for something that would have surely guaranteed results, but in the end I made out better than friends who did the same for a price.

Now, as for your CPU, take a look at this article:

Best Gaming CPUs For The Money: January '10 : Introduction - Review Tom's Hardware

On the second to last page it reads:

Past the Point of Reason:

With rapidly-increasing prices over $200 offering smaller and smaller performance boosts in games, we have a hard time recommending anything more expensive than the Core i5-750. This is especially the case since the Core i5-750 can be overclocked to great effect if more performance is desired, easily surpassing the stock clock rate of the $1,000 Core i7-975 Extreme.

Perhaps the only performance-based justification we can think of for moving up from a Core i5-750 is that LGA 1156 processors have an inherent limit of 16 PCIe lanes for graphics use. This is an architectural detail that the LGA 1156-based Core i5 and Core i7 processors share, so if a gamer plans to use more than two graphics cards in CrossFire or SLI, the LGA 1366 Core i7-900-series processors are the way to go.

To summarize, while we recommend against purchasing any CPU that retails for more than $200 from a value point of view, there are those of you for whom money might not be much of an object and who require the best possible performance money can buy. If you're buying several hundred dollars worth of graphics and are worried about a potential platform bottleneck, we recommend the following CPUs:

Now, that didn't tell you WHY we recommend overclocking, but that little tid bit right there stopped me from wanting to buy a i-7 920 unless I got with a dual-GPU solution, which costs far more than any other processor on there.

In the end, it all comes to getting the most for your money and needs, which brings up a big question: What games are you looking to play and at what resolutions? If you are like me and use a 26" monitor at 1920x1200 and want all the goodies, you need to know how to overclock if you are limited to a certain spending. I could either spend $2,000 to get a PC that handles it all GREAT, or spend a little less and take the time to get the most out of the hardware I purchased.

I bought the PC in my sig over four years ago, overclocked it a couple years ago and put a slightly better, overclockable vid card in and have been able to play everything out at pretty good fps and eye candy. You can do the same by spending a little more time.

I agree with Graham to some extent, you also have to consider that most of the time these CPU's are the same chips with one being binned at a high frequency. Both 955 and 965's will reach their peak at around 3.8-4GHz on good air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom