Minimum System Requirements Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siena1383

Baseband Member
1. Where do I find whether my CD-ROM drive is 8x or 12x or 16x? I don't see it in Device Manager or on the machine itself.
(For the record, I have an HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H20L drive.)

2. I have an AMD Athlon 64 x 2 dual core processor, 3800+ MMX 3DNOW (2 CPUs). Minimum requirements for software are given in terms of Intel chips. If the minimum required is Intel Pentium II 300MHz, how can I tell whether my chip meets the minimum?

Thanks.

1. I googled the drive name, it's 16x on DVDs so it's probably 40x+ on CDs.

2. Generally you can go by the MHz; for the record that CPU is dozens times more than what that software needs. You can also look up a cpu speed comparison or somesuch on Google, and compare the minimum required to what you have.

You mentioned a CD-ROM but in the name given it seems to be a DVD-RW, searched the exact name you gave and all records on google came up to be 16x. Let me google that for you

Not sure about the AMD -> Intel conversions in specification. Wait around and see what replies you get.

Edit: They beat me both :umm:. Anyhow at least you got fast replies :) and better ones also.

Joel, yes, it is a read-write DVD drive, but also a CD-ROM drive. I'm trying to install software from a CD-ROM disk, not use the DVD capabilities, so I talked in terms of CD-ROM for that reason.

Yes, my question was answered, but all input is appreciated!

Yamikotai gave me something to think about - I hadn't realized DVD drives were measured differently from CD-ROM drives. Hefemeister confirmed that it's a 16x drive, which I what I had thought.

(Though in testing whether the drive was working, I checked the minimum requirements on another software CD, and it was requiring 24x - and I've used that software with no problem at all, so go figure.)

Joel, yes, it is a read-write DVD drive, but also a CD-ROM drive. I'm trying to install software from a CD-ROM disk, not use the DVD capabilities, so I talked in terms of CD-ROM for that reason.

Yes, my question was answered, but all input is appreciated!

Yamikotai gave me something to think about - I hadn't realized DVD drives were measured differently from CD-ROM drives. Hefemeister confirmed that it's a 16x drive, which I what I had thought.

(Though in testing whether the drive was working, I checked the minimum requirements on another software CD, and it was requiring 24x - and I've used that software with no problem at all, so go figure.)
Reading and writing speeds are different between CD and DVD, that's why you would see different specs for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom