Fan cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though my CPU really isn't even a comparison to yours, im getting 44C while sitting here idly, and it stays fairly constent, even while loading big games like Doom3 or Battlefield vietnam I will reach maybe a max of 55C. I am using the stock HSF that came with my chip, and 2 exaust fans, 1 intake.

OK, I know that my cpu is running a little hotter than normal since I've clocked it at 2.0 ghz and this is the first time I've clocked it since I bought this damn thing about a year ago. It's only a small increase in speed and it's already overheating..... and it's only a 2400+ xp, the regular operating freq. is only 1.5 ghz. I'm a little bit unclear why the processor is listed at 2400+ but it's regular operating freq is only 1500..... and that when I clock it to 2000, then I already get overheating problems. If I clock it to 2400 [which I don't even dare to], I'll probably burn the thing out.... why does AMD have the frequencies for their cpu's listed one speed but the actual operating speed is always lower? Sorry for what seems like an obvious question but I'm still in the dark with a lot of computer hardware stuff.

Alex81388 said:
I would be more worried about the exposure to dust and other things blowing in there (ie small speice of tin foil, things of that nature).

Dust get into system regardless. It really comes down to how much dust your computer room attracts. Hence the reason why I have Jury Rigged my own can filters on my box.

I would be worried about some of the wild life gatting in there. The odd roach or rat. Or the pet cat thinking that the CPU fan is a fun thing to play with.

wongb18c said:
OK, I know that my cpu is running a little hotter than normal since I've clocked it at 2.0 ghz and this is the first time I've clocked it since I bought this damn thing about a year ago. It's only a small increase in speed and it's already overheating..... and it's only a 2400+ xp, the regular operating freq. is only 1.5 ghz. I'm a little bit unclear why the processor is listed at 2400+ but it's regular operating freq is only 1500..... and that when I clock it to 2000, then I already get overheating problems. If I clock it to 2400 [which I don't even dare to], I'll probably burn the thing out.... why does AMD have the frequencies for their cpu's listed one speed but the actual operating speed is always lower? Sorry for what seems like an obvious question but I'm still in the dark with a lot of computer hardware stuff.

The default running frequency for a 2400 is 1.8ghz, thus when you have it running at 2.0ghz, you are overclocking it. OC results in the chip running warmer than it otherwise would.

The way AMD chips work are as follows. The number designated to a chip, 2400, in your case does not mean that is the clock speed, it means that it runs comperable, and often better than a 2.4ghz intel chip. But the clock speeds of that chip are not at 2.4ghz. Just like in my system, I have a 3200, it is clocked at 2.2ghz, but out performs an intel 3.2ghz. Its just that AMD's technology is better than intel, so they dont have to have the clock settings as high.

So basicaly you have over clocked your chip with out knowing it. You chip is susposed to run at 1.8ghz, it can be OCed, but you need better cooling to OC a chip. Thus I proposed that you invest in the hsf combo that I found the link for a few posts back.

I hope that helps.

EDIT:

One thing that would help, is your chip a AMD Mobil Athlon 2400 XP, or AMD Athlon 2400 XP?

each of these have different clock settings. Which one you have would help me out to answer your questions.

ohGrFreak said:
the AMD 2400 is comparable to a 2.4 P4 even though the official clock speed is lower. and 2ghz from 1.5ghz is a BIG step up, HUGE in fact. That's a freaking 25% jump.

I see and agree with your point...

Originally posted by AND_YOU_ARE
The default running frequency for a 2400 is 1.8ghz, thus when you have it running at 2.0ghz, you are overclocking it. OC results in the chip running warmer than it otherwise would.

Now that I think about it that's right, it operates at 1.8ghz not 1.5ghz.... so it's only a 200mhz increase.... which shouldn't heat up so bad. But whatever... anyways, it's fine now with the fan... with the thing oc's and running at full it's only about 43C. Does the AMD 64 cpu's run considerably cooler? I'm upgrading soon anyways.

It's a AMD 2400+ XP..... not a mobile whatever...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom