Stupid fan question..(Controlling 3 on 1 channel?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antec-User

Papa Chester
I've got a 6 channel fan controller. I've got half a mind to pick up a new XSPC 320 Rad to replace my MCR220. Can I control 3 fans on one channel and 3 on another? Or what is the recommended setup for the Radiator fans??

Can we have some specs on the fan controller?

But most likely as long as your fans are not extreme power suckers you should be fine with 3.

yah, check the specs on your controller, 3 fans on one channel might kill it

Meh, I ran all 6 stock fans in my 1200 on a cheap $5 fan controller for close to 6 months, till it died. Now I am running them off of my mobo, so that's the next thing to die I'm sure.

^^ It's a Zalman 6 Channel fan controller.. I'm running 4 cheapo fans right now that max out pretty easily. If I were to get 6 Yate Loon fans and split em between two channels.. -Push Pull for the rad.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...nels+-+etc.-_-Zalman+Tech+Co.++Ltd-_-11999171
Color: Black
6 Channel Multi Fan Controller
Comprehensive Control of Cooling Performance and Noise
Aluminum Front Panel for Maximum Aesthetic Quality
Fast & Easy Access to Fan RPM Control
Color & Intensity Variable LEDs for Simple Monitoring of Fan Speed

Maximum power 7.0W per channel
Input voltage 12VDC
Output voltage 5VDC - 11VDC 5%

Here's the specs on Yate loons: Volts x Amps = Watts... 12 x .30 = 3.6watts . 7 W/channel max 2 fans would be 7.2W. But Y/L doesn't list Amp DRAW of the fans.
Model: D12SM-12
Dimensions: 120x120x25mm
Rated Voltage: 12 Volts
Operation Voltage: 6.5~13.8 Volts
Input current: 0.30 Amp Max
Operation temperature: -10 to +65 C
Storage temperature: -40 to +70 C
RPM: 1650 +/- 10%
CFM: 70.5
dB: 33
I think I'll set them up as follows:
1 push, 1 pull > channel 3
1 push 1 pull > Channel 4
1 push 1 pull > channel 5

That way when I up a fan speed the push and pull sides will match. It's set up PUSH on chan 3+4 now and pull on channel 5 + 6. 4 fans on 4 channels.

Even though yate loons won't draw the total 3.6 watts while operating, when they start up they will use close to that and could potentially fry the controller... I'm not 100% sure on that though

Even though yate loons won't draw the total 3.6 watts while operating, when they start up they will use close to that and could potentially fry the controller... I'm not 100% sure on that though

I don't think those yates use anything near 3.6W, possibly for like 2 seconds at start up, but you should be fine with 3 on a single channel.

I'm gonna run 2 fans per channel now. Not 3. I wish I had an Amp Clamp for my multi meter. Gonna see about borrowing one off my uncle. I think if I put the fans at a low setting before I start the computer, it shouldn't draw that much. Too bad I couldn't start them sequentially as to not put such a draw on the controller on start up.

I don't think those yates use anything near 3.6W, possibly for like 2 seconds at start up, but you should be fine with 3 on a single channel.
Which is what I said. It doesn't matter how long it uses 3.6w, its still enough to kill the controller.

I saw a debate about an issue similar to this on XS. Ill se if I can find it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom