Not sure which part of my PC is damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domestic

In Runtime
So about three weeks ago my PSU unexpectedly died while I was playing a game. There was a burning smell coming from it immediately and I tried to disconnect it as fast as possible.

I sent the PSU (Corsair 750) back for a replacement and received the new one yesterday. I plugged it in, turned everything on again and the PC does not recognize partitions on my second HDD, the video card (GTX 285) is running hotter than usual and crashes even at default clocks when I load any 3d game. Windows seems to take longer to initially load.

I was wondering if various parts of my PC could all of been fried or if this seems to be primarily a damage motherboard incident.

Thanks to anyone that can offer some advice.

It seems that your GFX was overheating, not your PSU.

Did you try cleaning out your GFX card of dust, as well as the rest of your system?

In Computer Management, does your missing partition show up?

Did you try cleaning out your GFX card of dust, as well as the rest of your system?

In Computer Management, does your missing partition show up?
Yes it is clean of dust and while the size of the two missing partitions show up in disk management I can not make them active or assign a drive letter to them.

If his gpu was overheating causing a smell, then why'd his psu blow?? That "smell" is the tell tale sign... nothing says OH S$%T like burning electrical smells.

The smell was your psu frying for sure.

Finding out if it took out something else is a pain.. Only real way is to switch out stuff.
It's definately possible, and some what expected, that a psu going in a burning way, that it can take a few things out too. Did you shut down, or did it?

i'd run a chkdsk or however its spelt on the drives, as maybe the sudden shutdown, just damaged them, and can be fixed.

My next favorite thing is a linux livecd. Boot to it, and check your drives and hardware.. yha you can't run your games, but you can still see if its working normally.

With the gpu, how off is the temps? few degrees, or substantial?

Just as a side check, run memtest86 as well, to check your ram, just in case.

Side note..

How long did Corsair take to get this sorted?

If his gpu was overheating causing a smell, then why'd his psu blow?? That "smell" is the tell tale sign... nothing says OH S$%T like burning electrical smells.

The smell was your psu frying for sure.

Finding out if it took out something else is a pain.. Only real way is to switch out stuff.
It's definately possible, and some what expected, that a psu going in a burning way, that it can take a few things out too. Did you shut down, or did it?

i'd run a chkdsk or however its spelt on the drives, as maybe the sudden shutdown, just damaged them, and can be fixed.

My next favorite thing is a linux livecd. Boot to it, and check your drives and hardware.. yha you can't run your games, but you can still see if its working normally.

With the gpu, how off is the temps? few degrees, or substantial?

Just as a side check, run memtest86 as well, to check your ram, just in case.

Side note..

How long did Corsair take to get this sorted?
yeah, good Idea I will run the chkdsk and try and swap some stuff out.
The gpu temp is about 12 degrees celcius off what other people with my card seem to be gettinga at idle.

Corsair got the PSU back to me in less than a week from the date it arrived at their RMA Dept. Very good considering I live in Australia.

Australia and a week! WOW

Only 12 isn't bad, you are in summer. You might have clogged up the airflow with the new cabling... Or you might have plugged it worse when you cleaned it. Happens ALOT, as you push chunks of dust into the cooling fins.

If youre savey, you can remove the shroud and clean it. Worth a try, but I don't think you crapped your card.

Australia and a week! WOW

Only 12 isn't bad, you are in summer. You might have clogged up the airflow with the new cabling... Or you might have plugged it worse when you cleaned it. Happens ALOT, as you push chunks of dust into the cooling fins.

If youre savey, you can remove the shroud and clean it. Worth a try, but I don't think you crapped your card.
Ok, thanks a lot patonb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom