Decomissioning project

Status
Not open for further replies.

monicka8311

Beta member
Hey Guys,
I have been assigned the task of creating a decommissioning template so to speak. My boss has asked me to create a list of what needs to happen before you decommission an application. I really don't understand because I've always just done it and never had any problems.
Here were her exact words on the subject
I would like you to research how we would go about decommissioning old software. Look on the Internet to see what others are doing. Maybe you could find a template.

Maybe it'll make more sense to you guys......:cute:

Wow your other post that was nearly identical except missing "here were her exact words on the subject" made it sound really rude...haha. Good luck :)

Sorry guys I don't know how to delete the other one. It's software and I'm not trying to be rude at all.

I will delete the other thread for you.
EDIT: Tom Beat me to it.

If you are moving over from one bit of software to another look into something called migration planning, the subject an be easy or simple depending on how many users, user training on the new software or even time constraints. It's quite a vast subject, if you gave us a idea of what software was involved we might be able to narrow it down for you.

I will delete the other thread for you.
EDIT: Tom Beat me to it.

If you are moving over from one bit of software to another look into something called migration planning, the subject an be easy or simple depending on how many users, user training on the new software or even time constraints. It's quite a vast subject, if you gave us a idea of what software was involved we might be able to narrow it down for you.

I wish I could.... this is supposed to be a template that would apply to all software that is removed. I will check out migration planning though. I'm supposed to be finding a template that another business would use when they decide to remove a program.

I understand how odd this is, because every removal is completely different. I don't really understand how I can create a template that I would pull out every time I remove a program from a computer and have it actually make sense and work for the decommission.

BTW, I am so glad I found this forum I can tell it will come in handy! :silly:

Not a problem.

What software is involved? I might be able to give you my own experience or point you in the right direction at least.

Not a problem.

What software is involved? I might be able to give you my own experience or point you in the right direction at least.

I don't think that it will really matter too much. I'm the technician that does the removal most of the time. If we found a removal that wasn't hard, but it wasn't a basic uninstall that would probably work.
I work at a financial company so we deal a lot with programs like Cleartouch and Fiserv based applications.
Let's say we're going to remove Adobe Acrobat, this is a program where we have to purchase a license so this would be a good base I believe (unless you're familiar with Fiserv and Cleartouch)

I think what we're trying to get at is if I get hit by a bus.... coworker a needs to grab this template and at the very least stumble through the removal process. Does that make sense.... also it probably is good to note that I consider myself a newbie to IT, I've worked in IT for a little over a year, I do have my A+ and Net+ but I don't remember much from the boot-camp I went to.

Just use something like ccleaner, heck or even the "add/remove programs" or "programs and features" area in the control panel. Just write up an instruction sheet on how to get there, and how to select the program they want deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom