Upgrade my semi-outdated gaming rig - proc, power supply and g-card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good call! Sapphire isn't bad. With video cards they are all nearly identical with slight differences in drivers. Occasionally you'll get a bad peice, but that could happen with anything.

I honestly think that you're going to be VERY pleased with your system, and ESPECIALLY that 5770. That 5770 is going to absolutely dominate your old card, and you'll notice quite a large difference in multitasking from the Quad Core, not to mention you'll be able to overclock that puppy to around 3.5ghz pretty easily!

Good luck!! Make sure to come back and post some screenshots and maybe run Super-Pi or 3dmark. Let us know how things work out for you!

Edit: Just in case you were interested to know. That Radeon 5770 is comparable to a Geforce GTX 250, and it's even a bit faster!!! The Radeon 5770 dominates the Geforce 9800GTX! You're going to be a happy fellow.
ATI Really got their game together in the 5xxx series of cards.

Thanks alot Rich! I truely appreciate your input, as I do Slaymates. It's nice to know there's a community out there that is willing to help and who cares. I will definately post some screenshots of my rig with the new parts isntalled!

With the overclocking business, since I do have an NZXT Tempest, do you think that I will have to worry about overheating at all? I mean my case does have 4x 120mm fans and
2x 140mm fans totaling 6 monster fans. Just wondering what your thoughts are on that.

Well, when overclocking you should ALWAYS be worried of overheating. It's the name of the game. Just download HWmonitor and keep an eye on the temps, and overclock very slowly, don't jump the gun.

As long as your temps are under 65c (LOAD, with running Prime95) then you'll be just fine. Technically these chips will run at 70 or 75c, but 99% of the real overclockers out there will recommend keeping it under 60c.

So, Prime95 and HWmonitor are very valuable assets if you want to keep it a safe and fun overclock. ALSO: Make sure you put some fresh thermal paste on the heatsink! You need to wipe off the old stuff and re-apply new thermal paste.

Lastly, Yes there are many many excellent and intelligent individuals on this website that truely know what they are doing. I visit this website about 60 times a day, and I've been a member since 2005! They keep it mature, fun, and informative. :)

It may or it may not. I personally recommend TX-2. It's about 5.99 from newegg, and it's one of the absolute best.

Alternatively you could use some of the Arctic Silver stuff, but I'm not sure if it's any better than TX-2, it's conductive (which means u gotta be really careful), and I (personally) have had better luck with TX-2.

Do you have an aftermarket heatsink? or will you be using the stock one that comes with the CPU?

The CPU will come with a heatsink that has thermal paste already on it; but you could grab the TX-2 richM was talking about. I'm not sure if bestbuy will carry that... go to any computer store and they'll have all sorts of varieties... but i hear for the price, TX-2 is one of the best.

If you don't have an aftermarket heatsink, make that your next investment.

I'm probably going to use the stock fan. But in a little bit after I recover from this purchase lol I'll probably buy a new CPU cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom