good gaming PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gateway one's only $500 though, including Windows 7 OS. Though there's no motherboard/power supply info supplied, which makes me a bit questioning towards it. I'll call em up tomorrow and find those out.

It's most likely a crappy OEM board. If you're not looking at any options for overclocking, an OEM board would be acceptable. Power supply is also probably sub-par, which won't do much good, if you're looking into upgrading the graphics card in the future (which for the games you want to play, it would probably be necessary). The GT120 is not a gaming card. As stated you want atleast a 9800GT (Nvidia) or 4830 (ATI). I have a 9800GT, and have some problems with newer games... The 9800GT is far FAR better than the GT120.

I bought a Q9400 Quad Core Intel Gateway (which is Acer btw).

I ugpraded the Memory from 4GB to 6GB and upgraded the vid card to a

Radeon 4850. It runs great.

I didn't even upgrade the power supply. It's only a 300 or 350W. Runs fine.

I play Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 at 1920x1080 and with settings on high and it's very playable.

Good enough where I haven't thought about upgrading my computer.

If you feel up for building your own conputer go 4 it. But after I factor in the price of the OS, It seems more expensive and more work to build my own.

Once this computer gets old, I'll sell it or give it away and buy a whole new system for $500 in 3-5 years. This system should still be worth $200-$300. So I can upgrade to a new machine for probably $200-300, which is the same price as replacing the Mobo/CPU/Memory/VidCard.

It's up to you, but you can't go wrong either way in my opinion. Go with your gut! Turn-Key or more tweakability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom