Strange External HD Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahnwolf

Beta member
Hello all,

I have been having some issues with my WD 1TB MyBook. It will randomly disconnect and reconnect the device (interupting any file i was playing/watching). I tried taking it out of the external enclosure and placing it into my desktop via SATA however it seemed to be lagging behind, movies were jumping or playing extremley slow.

So i decided to try to save a few files and transfer them to my internal Velociraptor, while copying it returned a file error saying it was unable to copy a file, assuming it was just the HD disconnecting randomly again i hit retry. The next thing i know my entire computer is locked up, forcing a hard reboot, upon reboot my Velociraptor is now ticking and unrecognizable.

I downloaded the WD Diagnostic tool and got the report "Too many bad sectors" recognizing this as a failing HD i have just purchased a new Seagate FreeAgent 1TB External, however it was already encountering the same problem, the HD would disconnect in the middle of file playback.

The next step i took was to try the new HD on my laptop, it worked just fine! Now i am copying my old external to the new just fine, no problems encountered for almost an hour now.

This is leading me to think that the problem may lie with my desktop USB ports. Below are my PC specs

1 Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

. 1 CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

. 1 CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50-1 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler - Retail

. 1 OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX30GXXX 2.5" 30GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State

. 1 Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

. 1 Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I7860 - Retail

. 1 EVGA P55 FTW SLI 132-LF-E657-KR LGA1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

. 1 Antec Six Hundred Black / Silver ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

. 1 SAPPHIRE 100282SR Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Retail

. 1 CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power

Any ideas or suggestions or whatever in helping me understand what is going on is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Austin
LCpl in the USMC Data Tech Field

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom