Buying my first Custom Computer....lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiggz

Solid State Member
I'm new to all this, if this isn't posted in the correct area please move >_<

Hey all you knowledgeable folk...I'm in the process of trying to figure out what I want for a new computer. I really know pretty much nothing about computers, other then they turn on and look pretty. I'm currently looking at AVADirect to get my rig built, and I don't mind spending a descent chunk of change on it. I want something more high end that can handle some of the better games out there, plus I don't mind having some of the frills that might cost me extra. I'm just gonna post the build I have in mind (totally clueless here, be gentle >_<), I'd just love some feedback on what I'm doing right or wrong.

CORE: NTEL Coreâ„¢ 2 Quad Q9505 Quad-Core 2.83GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 6MB (2 x 3MB) L2 Cache, 45nm, 95W, EM64T EIST VT XD, Retail
COOLING: ASETEK LCLC CPU Liquid Cooling System, Socket LGA775/AM2, OEM
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, LGA775, Intel® P45, 1600MHz FSB, DDR2-1300 16GB /4, PCIe x16 CF /2, SATA 3.0 Gb/s RAID 5 /7, HDA, GbLAN, FW /2, ATX, Retail
MEMORY: KINGSTON 4GB (4 x 1GB) HyperX PC2-8500 DDR2 1066MHz CL5 (5-5-5-15) SDRAM 240-pin DIMM, Non-ECC, Heatsink
VIDEO CARD: EVGA GeForce® GTX 275 Superclocked, GTX 275 648MHz, 896MB GDDR3 2376MHz, PCIe x16 SLI, DVI /2, HDTV Out, Retail
SOUND CARD: CREATIVE Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Xtreme Audio, 7.1 channels, 24-bit 96KHz, PCI
HARD DRIVE: SAMSUNG 1.5TB EcoGreen F2, SATA 3 Gb/s, 5400-RPM, 32MB Cache, OEM
CARD READER/FLOPPY DRIVE: SABRENT CRW-UINB Black 65-in-1 Card Reader/Writer Drive, 3.5" Bay, Internal USB
DVD BURNER: SONY AD-7241S Black 24x DVD±R/RW Dual-Layer Burner w/ Lightscribe, SATA, OEM
NETWORK CARD: INTEL PWLA8391GT PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter, 10/100/1000Mbps, 32-bit PCI 2.3 33/66 MHz, Full-height, OEM
TOWER: COOLER MASTER Storm Scout Black Mid Tower Case w/ Window, ATX, No PSU, Steel/Plastic
SOUNDPROOFING: COMPUTER ACCESSORY Universal Acoustic Foam
CASE FANS: CASE FAN LED Fans Maximum Package, Red
CASE LIGHTING: LOGISYS 12" Single Cold Cathode Case Light Kit, Red
POWER SUPPLY: CHIEFTEC Turbo Power Supply w/ Modular Cables, 850W, 80 PLUS®, 24-pin ATX12V EPS12V, Retail
OPERATING SYSTEM: MICROSOFT Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition, OEM
KEYBOARD: MICROSOFT SideWinder X6 Black Keyboard w/ Switchable Key Pad, USB, Retail
MOUSE: RAZER Razer Copperheadâ„¢ Mouse 2000dpi, 7 Buttons, Tempest Blue, USB
SPEAKERS: CREATIVE Inspire 245 Black 2.0 Speaker System, 4W (2 x 2W), Retail

What do you think I'm overdoing or not doing enough of? This is the first time I've ever looked at anything inside a computer, any suggestions? Thanks so much

Swap the C2Q for an i7 920

Change the Liquid Cooling for an Air solution. If you don't have any experience with PCs I'd highly recommend you start with something a little simpler to manage than liquid cooling. Unless you're overclocking like crazy you won't need it either. And don't bother with the RAID

If you're going with a Creative 7.1 card, then get something better than a 2.0 speaker system :) kinda defeats the purpose otherwise

You'll need a new Motherboard and Ram to go with the i7

Don't buy factory overclocked cards either. You can buy a stock card and overclock it yourself. That's good experience, and it'll save you $$$

What's your budget? An actual amount would help me :) I'll post you up a build when you give me the build budget.
oh, and it's better if you put the pc together yourself. Don't worry, it's not hard at all, and we're here to walk you through it :) Again, it's good to get the experience, and it'll save you a ton of cash.

Yup, I'm definitely clueless lol >_< I'm not sure how comfortable I am building this computer, and I know my fiance sure as heck doesn't want me doing it lol. I know I'll save a good chunk of change doing it that way, but I'm not quite ready to make that leap just yet lol...I really like the idea of a warranty.

My budget ranges from $1,800 to $2,300. Thanks for the quick response ^_^

Ok, question real quick >_< Whats a C2Q and an i7 920? Lol

C2Q = Core 2 Quad
i7 920 is a different type of processor :)

You'll still get a warranty on all the parts, doesn't matter if you build it yourself.
I'll post back in a bit with a build for you.

Thank you thank you. About how long would it take to put it together if I were to do it myself?...counting my 100% lack of experience >_<

What other things are important to include? Also, I'm looking for a really good Graphics Card to handle AION and other games like FF14 when it comes out. Is that graphics card going to be able to perform at max or will I have to tune down the resolution to get it to work ok.

Thanks so much for the help >_<

I'm looking for a 22" flatscreen LCD monitor, that's pretty much a must. I like the MICROSOFT SideWinder X6 Black Keyboard w/ Switchable Key Pad, I'll probably stick with that if possible. The mouse isn't extremely important, just needs to have a few extra programmable buttons since I'll be doing a lot of gaming on it. Also, what is a card reader? Man...I don't know squat lol

Yeah, I put a 5870 in the build, that's one of the best graphics cards out at the moment. In fact, according to our graphics card performance list, only two other card models can beat it.

Everything you need I've listed there, apart from the keyboard, mouse, speakers and monitor. I'm about to head home from work, so I won't be able to post up for a while.

I have to get out of here as well, thanks again for all the help. I'll be back on tomorrow, hopefully I can glean some more info then. Thanks a ton

Mouse: Newegg.com - Logitech MX518 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical 1800 dpi Gaming Mouse - Mice
Keyboard: Newegg.com - Logitech G15 104 Normal Keys 29 Function Keys USB Wired Standard Gaming Keyboard - Keyboards
Speakers: Newegg.com - Logitech X-540 70 watts 5.1 Speakers - Speakers
Monitor: Newegg.com - LG W2343T-PF Black 23" 5ms Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 30000:1(DC) - LCD Monitors

total cost: $411.92
Total system cost (including parts from previous post): 1927.85

Obviously this can be tweaked a little more, but this should give you a good 'ballpark' idea.

System Part List:
CPU: i7 920
MOBO: Gigabyte UD3R
RAM: OCZ Gold 6Gb 1600Mhz
GFX: 5870
PSU: 750W Antec Earthwatts
Case: Antec 1200
Mouse: Logitech MX518
KB: Logitech G15
Monitor: 23" 1920x1080
Speakers: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround
HDD: Samsung 1Tb