problems overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

plumber4578

In Runtime
Why the hang can't I overclock my puter beyond 2.6??? I read all these threads that my CPU can go to like 3.0. Is it my RAM that is paired with my CPU that is causing my probs? I am new at overclocking and is getting frustrated!

Do you have Hardware Monitor or another Program like RealTemp to monitor your temperatures?
http://www.cpuid.com/download/hwmonitor/HWMonitor_115_setup.exe
Do you have CPU-Z downloaded to keep tabs on your actual cpu and memory speeds?
http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpuz/cpuz64_153.zip
Do you have the latest Bios Update installed for your mobo?

You should also download LinX (stability testing).
http://www.youwatched.com/datajay/linx(0.64).7z

Post a screenshot of LinX, Hardware Monitor, CPU-Z (the cpu and memory tabs, you'll have to open CPU-Z twice to show both windows) running so we can see what's happening. And if you would tell us what bios settings adjustments you have made it would also help.

Speedfan will work but it would be my last choice. Hardware Monitor will show you the temperatures and so much more (and it will help to see the so much more).

I have a really dumb question. How do you post a screen shot of these things?? I tried to run the linX and it would install. All other monitors are installed

a couple things that might be going screwy that i noticed. with the CPUID program my CPU fan speed0 goes to zero and than to 15,000, back to zero and then 15,00, so on and so forth.
Another thing is that with the CPU-Z program i noticed that my multiplier always changes for X6 toX9 changing my speed from 2.4 to 1.6. it just goes back and forth like the CPU fan.
This can't be normal can it??

You can post a screenshot by first taking the screenshot either with an image capture program, or just simply pressing PRNT SCRN button and then pasting it to photoshop or ms paint. Upload the image to Photobucket, or something like that, and then

The reason the multiplier is changing is because you have Cool n Quiet enabled, (or whatever the intel equivilent is). This will throttle your processor down to conserve power when you're not using it for intensive applications. The fan on the other hand, I have no idea. It sounds like the fan is throttling due to the rise in temperature of when your processor speed changes. I could be wrong, it might just be a wonky fan.

EDIT: Instead of double posting, try to use the edit button in the lower right corner of your previous post. It's sort of against the rules of the forum if I recall correctly.

The cpu fluctuations are a result of Intel Speedstep and the CxE Function. These are Power Saving features that should be disabled for overclocking (disable them in the bios). The Fan fluctuations are also/probably the result of a bios setting, namely the fan speed setting. It is probably set to automatically adjust the fan speed based upon the cpu temperature. So with the power saving features constantly changing the cpu speed, which directly effects the cpu temperture and the fan setting on automatic, a wide variation in fan speed is to be expected :D Set the fan speed to Manual / 100%

Creating The Image

First of all you will need to locate the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard. It is in the top right hand corner next to F12 and has "PrtScn and SysRq" on it.

With the apps displayed on your desktop press the PrtScn button to capture the image to the clipboard.

Open up your "Paint" program (or any other image manipulation software you have installed) by clicking on Start... All Programs and locating it..

For example if you are using Paint... then its Start.. All Programs... Accessories.. Paint.

Once the program has loaded up click on EDIT and then PASTE from the drop down menu which has appeared. The image will appear in the screen below. Crop and edit it as desired.

Saving The Image

If you click on FILE at the top of your Paint Program and then SAVE AS. This allows you to choose where you want to save it to and what you want to call it.

So you are now presented with a box and you need to type the name you wish to give this image into the box marked "File Name".

File Type - for this you will need to click on the drop down arrow to the right of the selection box and select "JPEG"

If you look at the top of the screen you will see its asking you where you wish to save it to. The default location is "My Pictures" which in your computer is easy to find. Click on START.. Click on "My Pictures" which is to the top right of that screen when you click on start!

Uploading The Image

Now if you do not have your own "Homepage" and need a good imagine hosting site there are many free ones out there.
Imageshack and Photobucket are two good sites. They are both FREE!!

ImageShack® - Online Media Hosting and Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Once you upload your image the hosting site will assign you a link for that image.
As an example
I took a screenshot and named and saved it as sample.jpg
I uploaded it to imageshack and it gave me the following link minus the quotation marks
""http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/8250/samplejs.jpg""
now I add the forum image code to the link minus the quotation marks
samplejs.jpg""

and the image appears

samplejs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom