Adding another HDD - Make My PC Run Faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natalie105

Baseband Member
My PC is starting to get a bit slow now as takes a while to load up when I turn it on. The majority of space that's taken on my HDD is music, games and videos, so I was wondering if I added another HDD to my PC and moved the music, games and videos to the secondary HDD, would it run faster when loading up and doing other things? I've got 4GB of RAM and a Quad Core Processor and I still think they're pretty good so is another HDD the way to go?

Your system would likely LOAD a bit quicker, but buying a new HDD is not necessary.
Just defrag the disk, run a few spyware scanners, and get rid of any unnecessary junk and you'll get a similar boost in load times.

if you move the page file to the new hard drive, the response time of the system disk will improve.

hmm, with 4gb of ram you may not be using much of a page file though.

I think dishing out the extra money for another HDD is a bit much. If you really feel your computer is running slow, take the following steps beforehand:
1. Registry Cleaner- I can't tell you how many people have way too many problems with their registries, get one and scan!
2. Anti-Virus- You should have this anyways, but run a scan periodically (Once every couple of weeks should be good)
3. Uninstall any unnecessary programs etc. from your computer that you no longer use, or you just dont need anymore
4. Go through your documents, pictures, videos etc. and delete old stuff
5. If you install a program, make sure to delete the installer when you finished with it, some programs such as Adobe programs have installers as big as a couple of Gigabytes
--------------------------------
Those are a couple basic steps you should take before considering a new Hard Drive.
IF none of these work, you can back up all your documents, and just perform a clean install of whatever OS you use. Then, if the problem persists, you should buy a new HDD, otherwise just follow those steps
Hope i helped!
-Bio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom