Computer not Booting Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirgoT

Solid State Member
Hey there, I've been having this problem for a few weeks. I have found a way to get around it, but not rid of it.

My problem is that when I have two or more usb devices plugged into my computer, it will hang at the Alienware logo screen during boot up. I haven't let it sit during that, so I don't know if it'll continue to boot up.

But if I only have one or no usb devices plugged in, it'll boot normally and then once it reaches the desktop, I can plug them back in as if nothing happened. I have no idea how or why this happened. It all just happened one day I turned it on. I've since upgraded my harddrive and OS (since the day it happened, the Alienware support said I had to repalce my harddrive).

I've done some google searches and saw that some people had similar problems, but couldn't really find a solution. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, it would be great. Like I said, I could just unplug the devices everytime I boot my pc up, but that's really annoying.

I'd check your psu.

Get/borrow a Digital Multi-Meter, and check your power supply volts. They should be within .1 or .2 of the stated... ie 12V 5V and 3.5V and associated Amps.

Welcome to the forum

Would my power supply really be the problem?

I got a new one little over a year ago since my first one died out on me. I don't know anyone that would have a multimeter, and I don't feel like spending $30+ to buy one if I'm just gonna use it once.

Would my power supply really be the problem?

I got a new one little over a year ago since my first one died out on me. I don't know anyone that would have a multimeter, and I don't feel like spending $30+ to buy one if I'm just gonna use it once.

I think you might want to give your specs and psu size.

At bootup, everything is drawing power, and it might not be enough power to boot.

make sure your bios isnt looking for a bootable drive on your USB devices...

Whenever i plug my phone in on mine it hangs up quite a bit looking for an OS on my envy touch heh.

make sure your bios isnt looking for a bootable drive on your USB devices...

I have checked. I have set the "Other devices" under the bios boot settings to none.

I'm running:
Windows 7 32 bit
Memory: 4GB
Processor: Intel Core 2 @ 2.13GHz for both (4.26 combined)

I think my mom threw away the psu box because I can't find it anywhere in the house. =/

Actually, pop off the side panel of the tower. Every psu has a sticker on it that lists out its info, just like this:

17-341-018-S05

Just copy the info for all the 12Vs and the Watts underneath.

Oh, and does it have a video card?

PS.
On a dual core, you don't add the 2 cores for overall speed. Just say dual core @2.13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom