HDD temp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried different sata ports. I do have a second hard drive which is the same model but right now I do not feel like uninstalling Windows of of this drive and installing it on another drive. I may try it later this evening.

Make sure you have the correct Hard Drive selected as the 1st Boot Device in your Bios. You'll need to check this setting anytime you add or remove a drive from your system.

The correct hard drive is selected as the first boot device.

I am getting confused. I just hooked up the second hard drive and now it boots up fine. Earlier, when I had the second drive hooked up, it would not boot up or it was real slow. I did not do anything different.

I am going to hook the dvd drive up and see what happens. What in the heck is going on? I am losing my mind although most people would say I never really had it:D

EDIT: I hooked the dvd drive up and it still boots up fine. So far it is working fine with everything hooked up. I am still having trouble with transfer speeds being slow. If I try to copy 70 gigs of files, it takes forever. The speed will not stop going down. It starts out around 100mb's for a few seconds then just keeps going down. I have ran the WD Diagnostic tool and both drives failed both tests, it says cable test: write sector error. This also happened on the first 2 drives I had.

Tell me if this makes any sense. If I have all three drives hooked up, 2 HDD's and 1 dvd drive, it boots up just fine. But if I unhook just one drive, it does not want to boot up. I have unhooked every other drive except the Windows drive and it does not want to boot no matter which SATA port I use either. As soon as I hook all three drives up, it boots up just fine. I was thinking bad motherboard ports but now I just don't know.

The transfer speeds are still slow between the two hard drives. But that could be a whole different problem.

Tell me if this makes any sense. If I have all three drives hooked up, 2 HDD's and 1 dvd drive, it boots up just fine. But if I unhook just one drive, it does not want to boot up. I have unhooked every other drive except the Windows drive and it does not want to boot no matter which SATA port I use either. As soon as I hook all three drives up, it boots up just fine. I was thinking bad motherboard ports but now I just don't know.

The transfer speeds are still slow between the two hard drives. But that could be a whole different problem.
When you say it doesn't boot, you get any specific error or BSOD?

I do get a BSOD, just not every time, but I can not read it since it restarts right away. Sometimes it wants to check the disk for consistency.

Also, I can not pass the WD Diagnostic tool just like the original drives I bought. Surely it is not the hard drives. I mean what are the chances of getting 4 bad hard drives?

I do get a BSOD, just not every time, but I can not read it since it restarts right away. Sometimes it wants to check the disk for consistency.

Also, I can not pass the WD Diagnostic tool just like the original drives I bought. Surely it is not the hard drives. I mean what are the chances of getting 4 bad hard drives?
Ummm I can't remember exactly but I know it has a way to stop the restarts so you can read the BSOD; not sure if you're quite sure the option I'm talking about but I do hope so (or hope someone jumps in and fill my gap lol). Also the chances may be slightly high if it's the same store/outlet you bought all 4 HDDs from (assuming it's the same).

Edit: It checks for consistency because of the unusual shutdowns/restarts.

Edit 2: Here's the option I was looking for http://www.techist.com/forums/f27/disable-blue-screen-death-auto-reboot-3643/. Instructions may vary depending on your OS, but shouldn't be much of a problem.

Good job, Jo. I was thinking along the same lines. I couldn't remember that either, but reading it, it all came back to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom