HDD temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Daemon Poster
I did a RMA for 2 hard drives through Newegg. I just received my replacements today and I am concerned. 1 HDD is showing a temp of 60+ degrees celsius. I think this is a false reading because the HDD does not feel warm to the touch at all and I don't feel any warm air behind it. If it was running this hot, would I be able to touch the drive? I don't think it is running at 60+ degrees but I am going to be safe and not use it. I currently have Windows installed on this drive.

This is the HDD I'm talking about:
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I have 2 of these and the other one is showing a temp of 20 degrees celsius. Has anybody else seen this happen?

The reason I did an RMA was because my transfer speeds were real slow between the 2 drives. It starts out real high, around 100mb's, and keeps dropping to the point where it would take to long. The same problem happens with the replacement drives. Could this be a problem with the MOBO?

If it was running that hot, don't think you would be able to touch it. Not totally sure since it never happened but that's just the logic in my head lol. Also it maybe your motherboard or faulty cords/connection (just throwing out ideas, since I'm not much versed in these stuff).

I'll vote for Everest! A one-stop-shop for all detail/benchmarking needs :D. Sadly though they removed the free/personal edition from their website, so you may have to download a trial if you plan on using it.

I switched the 2 hard drive cables and it was really slow even after Windows was loaded. So I switched them back to how they originally were and it would take a long time to boot up, so long that I could not wait on it. The bios would not detect the hard drive either.

So now, I unhooked the second drive all together and now it boots up fine and it shows a temp of around 22 degrees celsius, now that is more like it. I am using the cable from the second drive right now. I am going to hook the original cable back up and see what happens. Right now it looks like it is either a bad cable or a bad motherboard connection.

BTW, I tried Pc Wizard and it did not show the HDD temp. It showed everything else. Do I have to do something in the settings?

EDIT: Now I am almost 100% positive that the motherboard is the problem. Now I can not get it to boot up at all no matter which cable or motherboard connection I use.

EDIT2: It seems that if I have more than one drive, including the dvd drive hooked up, it does not want to boot. If I just have the Windows drive hooked up, it boots up just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom