PLZ help with build

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was reading alot on ssd drives and watching tests and what not some comparisons dident look that great of a difference then a raptor do u think it will make a big difference for OS and games?? i think im gunna go with the rampage extreme 2 and i7 920 combo for 669.98 and get some sort of combo with the SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5870 if they have any, im gunna stick with the same case so so now i got

MB: rampage extreme 2
CPU: i7 920
GPU: sapphire radeon HD 5870
CASE:cool master HAF 932
CARD READER:ultra MD3 media dashboard
PSU:??
HD:?? some sort of SSD if its worth it
ROM D:?? do i still need 2 rom drives like a dvd rom and dvd R/w if i want to burn stuff or can i get just one that has all the stuff in one but will i have to copy it to computer first and i guess i wont be able to just copy cd to cd ??
RAM:?? corsair dominator 6GB ddr3, will it make much of a difference for games then other stuff thats cheaper??
sound card:im just gunna use the one that comes with the MB
H2O COOLING:?? i wanted it so i cud leave room for upgrade and also for the looks and cuz the computer might be sitting under my desk were there isent to much air flow.

can u guys help fill in the ?? with things u think would make a good match with the other stuff i have im looking for stuff thats good quality so if its a little more pricey then the chaper stuff then its ok as long as it makes a difference

thanks for the help guys cheers

PSU - go with the Silverstone 1000w PSU that aliasaid linked to.

Yes the HAF 932 is a great case. I have one myself and I love it.

Yes a SSD would definitely be worth it. but you will still need a HDD for storing your files and such. Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb should do you fine unless you think you would need more storage than that.

Optical Drive - I don't know how often you directly copy cds/dvds but if you plan on doing a lot of that, then 2 drives may be a good option for you. Personally I'm happy with one, you can still copy them, but you would have to open the drive to switch disks halfway through.

The corsair dominator ram will not perform any better for you than the Gskil 6GB(3x2GB) Ripjaw DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24 that i linked to earlier. The only way you would notice any difference is if you were trying an extensive overclock on the ram... and even then the difference probably would only be noticeable in benchmarks, not a gaming environment.

H20 setup - What do you mean that you want this for room to upgrade? Will you be placing this computer IN a desk or beneath one? If just placed under a desk, then the HAF 932 will create enough airflow for you. This case moves a LOT of air. And if you are concerned about airflow, you could easily add another 120mm exhaust fan next to the 230mm on the top of the case, and you could add another 120mm intake fan on the bottom of the case right next to the PSU mount. Looks... well yea you got me there, Liquid cooled setups do stand out a bit.

Oh yea... just so you know, XFX offers double lifetime warrantys on their graphics cards. Sapphire is a good brand, but when spending that much on a single component, the double lifetime is nice to have in my opinion. but thats totally your call, as i said sapphire is a good brand to go with.

cpu: i7 920 Newegg.ca - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

mobo: either of these
Newegg.ca - ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.ca - EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
if youre not looking to set any record breaking OCing, either of these boards will get you a nice OC. you really dont need the extreme II unless you're just looking to burn money.

ram: Newegg.ca - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory
again, the dominators are nice, but they are costly and more than you need.

gpu: Newegg.ca - XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
unless you specifically want a sapphire card, i would get this xfx instead because its a little cheaper and it has a double-lifetime warranty.

hdd: if you can afford it, i would get an ssd as an OS/programs drive and a separate hdd for data storage
- ssd Newegg.ca - Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M080G2XXX 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - SSD

- data drive (depending on how much space you want)
Newegg.ca - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.ca - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.ca - Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.ca - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

psu: the 1kw psu aliasaid posted before looks good for the price even though its probably more than youll really need.

optical: Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - CD / DVD Burners
its a drive, nothing special here. it will read cds/dvds and burn cds/dvds.

case: the one you picked
Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

OS: Newegg.ca - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
you will like it better than xp and it is better than vista. plus youll need either w7 or vista for dx11, which the 5xxx series cards support, so might as well.

if you want help for a liquid cooling setup, you could wait for someone else with more knowledge on that, but it wont be cheap for a good kit.

+1

While browsing around, i noticed the OCZ gold with same timings for better price - nice catch muffinman

tdot was interested in getting a sound card and overclocking, and had a large budget (tdot was considering the evga classified) so i figured rampage was a decent price for all these things without going way overboard.

I am quite pleased with myself to see that my build was this close to Muffinman's. :cool:

thanks alot guys for all the input and advice what iv come up with is way cheaper then my original stuff and alot of the stuff is better then the original stuff i really appreciate the help this is what ive come up with and i think it should be a good gaming competitor let me know what u think the new build comes up to around 2313.89 all ill need is a few things like cooling blocks ,tubing ,fittings and nozzles,coolant ect... still alot cheaper and better i think then the original 3289.99

new build
MB: rampage 2 extreme
CPU: Intel i7 920
GPU: Sapphire/XFX radeon HD 5870 (will eventually get a second one and run crossfireX)
PSU: Sliverstone 1000 w modular
RAM:OCZ gold 6GB DDR3 1600 tri CH
HARD DRIVE 1:Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD
HARD DRIVE 2: WD caviar black 500 GB
ROM DRIVE:LG GH24NS50
CASE:C M HAF 932
SOUND CARD:ASUS card that comes with MB
H2O COOLING: Koolance RP-980BK pump + tank combo
: Koolance HX-CU720H 2x120mm copper low flow rad
: 2x 120x25mm blue led fans for rad
: some sort of flow meter

total is 2313.89 + tax , do u guys think this will run ARMA 2 and CRISIS on max settings with good FPS and no problems?

thanks for all the help...cheers

So you want to do water cooling? First some questions... Do you know a lot about PC's? Have you built one before and do you feel comfortable working inside your computer? Water cooling isn't for newbies as all it takes is one mistake and you spring a leak and your brand new system is gone.

Why do you want water cooling? Good temps? The "coolness" factor? Silence?

Budget? How much can you dedicate to water cooling alone?

What all do you want to cool? GPU + CPU, CPU only, motherboard + CPU + GPU?

Don't get those watercooling parts you picked out... ew... answer the questions I asked and I'll be happy to help you out.

im pretty good with computers but this is my first build from scratch i have tho interchanged different things here and there in side my computer and as for the water cooling i was looking to get it for low temps and for OC ing and cuz it looks cool first i was planing on just the CPU for now and then wen get some more cash do both GPUs and maybe the MB any help would be appreciated

400 is more than enough for a good CPU loop. but its late... and im going to bed... ill get a list of parts for you tomorrow

thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom