system32\config\system error with BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

tohta6

Solid State Member
After having no problem recently with my PC, I turned it on this morning to find a very screwed up looking desktop. I hard booted it, fully expecting it to fix itself, but it gives me an error before booting Windows:

\windows\system32\config\system is corrupt or missing...blah blah blah.

So I figure I would check with my buddies who know a bit about tech support and they point me to use the repair console. So I do, but right after choosing which windows installation to repair, I run into a 0x50 BSOD (page_fault_in_nonpaged_area). I have read that this is primarily a RAM problem. I run memtest off of an iso bootdisc. Everything reads fine. I call my last resort friend who could possibly help me and he tells me to reformat. I go into XP setup again and attempt to reinstall windows, but right after the License Agreement, I get a 0x50 BSOD. This happens multiple times on both repair and install consoles.

Any Ideas?

After having no problem recently with my PC, I turned it on this morning to find a very screwed up looking desktop. I hard booted it, fully expecting it to fix itself, but it gives me an error before booting Windows:

\windows\system32\config\system is corrupt or missing...blah blah blah.

So I figure I would check with my buddies who know a bit about tech support and they point me to use the repair console. So I do, but right after choosing which windows installation to repair, I run into a 0x50 BSOD (page_fault_in_nonpaged_area). I have read that this is primarily a RAM problem. I run memtest off of an iso bootdisc. Everything reads fine. I call my last resort friend who could possibly help me and he tells me to reformat. I go into XP setup again and attempt to reinstall windows, but right after the License Agreement, I get a 0x50 BSOD. This happens multiple times on both repair and install consoles.

Any Ideas?
I now looked it up and seems like that BSOD is a regluar thing with some people but they resolved it with replacing their RAM which you already indicated are ok. Not sure what the exact problem is but I would suggest a complete reinstall of your OS if you can. Before doing so though, see if you can login and backup your data or use your HDD as a secondary HDD on another system and backup your data.

Edit: By the way, welcome to the forums :D.

I now looked it up and seems like that BSOD is a regluar thing with some people but they resolved it with replacing their RAM which you already indicated are ok. Not sure what the exact problem is but I would suggest a complete reinstall of your OS if you can. Before doing so though, see if you can login and backup your data or use your HDD as a secondary HDD on another system and backup your data.

Edit: By the way, welcome to the forums :D.

Not sure if you understood 100% (no insult intended.) If I try to boot straight to the OS, I get the registry error (missing/corrupt.) If I boot with my XP CD and try to repair/reformat/install, I get a BSOD error. So basically I can't backup my files and I can't seem to fresh install my OS.

@baih777 I have 2 sticks of ram. I tried interchanging them with 2 other sticks of ram (matching for both sets.) No difference.

have you tried using a boot cd containing chkdisk??? I'd give it a try. (chkdisk /r)
Seem's like any attempt to access the hard drive with windows its having sum probs.

Not sure what you mean CPierce. AFAIK, I need to be able to access the repair console in order to access chkdisk, right?

I will try safe mode, but I doubt it will let me. I will report back!

P.S. Thanks for all replies thus far.

Have you cleaned your PC with compressed air lately? How new is this PC and what type of cpu are you using? If it's an older PC then you should check the fan on the Northbridge for correct operation (the memory controller is built into the Northbridge on older Intel based systems). If it's a newer PC then the memory controller maybe built into the cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom