Hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Capps

Baseband Member
I am trying to get my hard drives swooped between my wife's computer and my computer.When I swoop the two the windows do not come up at all the bios comes up but nothing after boot.How do I get windows to be recognized with the motherboard.I do not want to have to back all the pics that she has and her hard drive and transfer them.My ? is how to do I get the mother board to read windows when swooping drives?Her computer will now be Hp pavillion and mine will be Asus.It is like the paths are all wrong?How can I get it straight to where it will come up and everything in working order??

Windows Xp pro and yes that is what it said.
Well if I'm right, you cannot just switch the HDDs. Reason being because Windows XP relies on the configuration of your PC and needs the exact settings to boot up. If you used her HDD as a secondary drive you will be however able to back up her data or just using some other medium such as a flash drive or DVD. Only way around this I would think is to reinstall windows for that HDD to be used on your PC which isn't a really good idea.

So just take the few extra steps and backup the stuff needed but don't swap the HDDs.

Edit: Taken from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_library_files#Hal.dll just to give you an idea of what it means.
Hal.dll is the core of Windows' Hardware Abstraction Layer, which allows applications to access devices in the system without knowledge of the specific protocol used by any one device.

Although drivers for most hardware are contained in external files, core drivers (which are required to support the kernel) are compiled into Hal.dll.

I am getting geared up for windows seven and I am switching the computers around for more memory reasons.The asus memory ram is 2gb and the hp is piece of crap only supporting 1 gb.That is the whole reason for this ?

I will back the photos and documents and then reinstall windows on her hard drive and computer so it is all affiliated with the config

I am getting geared up for windows seven and I am switching the computers around for more memory reasons.The asus memory ram is 2gb and the hp is piece of crap only supporting 1 gb.That is the whole reason for this ?
Well can't be certain that's the only reason, I'm guessing the HDDs are different brands also and maybe the configuration of the motherboard on a whole. If you plan on upgrading to Windows 7, still would recommend you backup your data.

Remember the 2 PC's aren't the same, which means different configurations for both, being: motherboard, RAM, HDDs, GFX/Sound cards, etc.
Thatis what I was thinking that the config was conflicting the windows

Yup.

Edit: If you have time, be sure to stick around sometime and see what other users have to say since I may not be 100% correct and others may have other solutions.

Edit: Added your thread to my sig to increase exposure.

I have a new hard drive on the way for the windows Seven along with some hardware memory ram,pci and some other things.Plan to use my old hard drive as my slave for storage and some other software.Thanks for your help in all of this Jo I clicked the rep. button for u.I know the info you have provided is right on I have had this problem before.I only way is to have two computers a like one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom