What makes a GOOD monitor??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antec-User

Papa Chester
What are the specs one would look for when trying to pick out a good, performance, monitor? And what do those specs mean? I mean the basics, or the 5 important aspects of looking for a GOOD monitor.. -Around $200 for a gaming monitor, and then you can probably throw in a Top of the line monitor for DROOL factor.. :lol:

Sorry, I may be a little behind, or a little slow, on the whole MONITOR business, and I also wanted to start a thread to get into the TF listings for search purposes. -Help someone 6 months + down the road.

Well? How are Viewsonic Monitors, for instance? Let's say 20-24" for the average size. I have always bought them.. maybe in part that I like the birds.. :lol:

Some important things are:
1. Contrast ratio: The ratio of the brightest colour to the darkest colour that the monitor can show. E.g. how white/black can the monitor go. Needed for high quality image definition. Google 'static contrast' and 'dynamic contrast' though, important differences between the two...

2. Aspect ratio: 4:3, 16:9, etc. For larger monitors I'd always go with 16:9, it's the most 'compatible' format with most media.

3. Brightness: usually measured in cd/m, how bright the screen can go. More important if you're going to be using the monitor in an area with a lot of external light.

4. Response time: The time it takes for the pixels on the monitor to change states. Lower is better (faster change times, less lag).

5. Viewing Angle: the angle you can view the screen from before the image starts to distort/change colour etc.

6. Dot Pitch: How close pixels of the same colour are together. Very important for a clear, sharp image.

tealc-indeed.png

^ LLOLz!!! :lol:

Thanx for the help... What's a typical contrast ratio.. I my main monitor is 1000:1 S/2000:1D.
20" color TFT active matrix WSXGA LCD
Display Area 17.1" (horizontal), 10.7" (vertical); 20.1" diagonal
Optimum Resolution 1680x1050
Contrast Ratio 1000:1 static (typ), 2000:1 dynamic
Viewing Angles 170° horizontal, 160° vertical
Response Time 5ms (typ)
Light Source Long life, 40,000 hrs. (typ)
Brightness 300 nits cd/m2 (typ)
Panel Surface Anti-glare

For contrast ratios you're looking to stay at LEAST above 1000:1, preferably higher.
Everything else looks pretty standard, except the 16:10 aspect ratio. I really don't like those lol

Most people i talk to say that dynamic contrast ratio doesnt mean much. The native panel contrast is the most important.

to be honest.....most monitors now days produce great colors and images and you wont notice any ghosting on any new monitor.

To make it nice and easy....get the size monitor you want....the resolution that you want, and the right jacks on the back that you want....some have hdmi

Samsung and other companies make some great 24" lcd widscreens for around or at times below $200, that are great for gaming and watching movies .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom