Hard Drives Keep Failing

Status
Not open for further replies.

gators81

Beta member
I've been having a hard time with the computer I put together about 3.5 years ago now. I'm not in a situation where I can get a new one right now, so I'd really like to try and get this fixed somehow without having to take it to a repair shop. (The estimates I got locally were anywhere from 200-300 just to look at it.)

The specs on my computer are:
Intel E6600, asus p5wdh-deluxe, ocz gamexstream 700w, soundblaster x-fi extrememusic, radeon hd 4850, gskill 2gb F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ, wd raptor 150, windows xp sp3, antec p180b

My computer worked great for the first two years without a problem, but over the last two years I keep losing hard drives. I've been using the same secondary HD for the entire time without a problem, but my main HD (running the OS) keeps dying. Basically after a little while (anywhere from 1 week to 3 months) my computer slows down and I start seeing delayed write failure errors start popping up in my taskbar, and then a few days later my HD crashes. I have probably gone through 6-8 HD's over the last 2 years, and it has gotten to the point now where I just can't deal with it anymore and am using a really old computer just to get online.

I've tried WD, Seagate, and Maxtor drives, and it is consistently happening to me. I really don't have any idea what the problem is, and why it is only affecting my primary HD. I have sent the HD's back because they were under warranty and received new (or refurbished) ones and it still happens.

If anybody has any suggestions on what might be wrong, or how to diagnose what my problem might be I would REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks for your time,

Andrew

Did you by chance try using another SATA/PATA cable or Power cable?

The PSU could be shortening it out. Causing a crash.

I have tried using different sata and power cables.

I have not tried using 1 power cable per drive though. When I get a new HD back I will try that.

Is there any easy way to test my PSU?

There are power supply testers out there, but I never used them. your best bet is to get a new PSU and see if that does the same thing.

I can buy a new PSU if that's the problem, but I can't afford to buy one just to test if that is the problem or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom