Buying phenom II custom build

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK - finally came to terms with my seller= $750 without the 4890 video card. NOW , which 5770 should I buy? I have heard a few of the 5770 sapphire cards were not functioning correctly. Is the high grade xxx or juniper cards worth the extra $10 or not? XFX, or Gibabyte or sapphire?? Will buy today so quick responses appreciated . The deal is that he comes to my house, installs my xp within the win7 - so I can use my 32 bit software in win7 64 - as I understand it, that is what needs to be done to play older games like Battlefield, Halo,etc. . and he changes out the cards , etc. SO, Not a great deal on the parts- but basically free labor/ knowledge/etc. - I will learn a few things as well. So, maybe have some confidence in building my own rig next time. Thanks again in advance... Ibaker- that thread on unlocking the 550 is very interesting, but I only got about 1/2 way thru it.

purchased the XFX juniper 5770 with a combo = ocz 550 watt modular PSU for an additional $70. It will be used for an upgrade of my older HP m8226x which currently has a nvidia 8600gt card that is barely being pushed by the 300 watt original PSU. The Athlon 3800+ dual core is still "Ok" - cant wait to get on my new rig with the Phenom 965 and the 5770 card. I will start new thread in regular PC area for advise on what else I can do to upgrade the HP.

OK - system in and running - no problems switching out the 4890 to the 5770 video cards. Question- I am using a 54 inch plasma for my monitor- but games loaded so far wont use the whole screen. Have tried changing the settings in the games and the resolution in windows7. Noticed when trying to change the settings in windows that windows7 thinks my monitor is a sony XXXX- but really that is the Sony AVS receiver- not the monitor/TV, as I am running the HDMI cable out from the 5770 video card to the Sony receiver , then out of the Sony to the plasma TV. Any ideas?? Maybe run a HDMI directly to the TV to see if it changes anything... Then go from there. Has anybody else who using HDMI out to a AVS then to a tv have this issue.

Does windows desktop take up the full screen? if it does then the receiver probably isn't your problem, what resolution is that HDTV? the resolution and aspect ratio could not be supported by the games your playing.

Yep - I think your right baron5 - windows7 pro does take up the full screen. The games played so far- with great detail - don't know how to determine frame rates, etc. butHalo2 and battlefield 2142 both look great. I just switched the aspect ratio on the Plasma TV itself and the "HFILL" aspect option expanded the screen to take up nearly the whole screen again- I dont know it that will distort aiming/shooting, etc. or not.

Try using Catalyst Control Center which should have come with your driver package. Open that up, choose advanced viewing mode, go to displays, right click on your display and choose settings (or configure, I forget which shows) and there should be an option for Scaling.

OK will try that as well- but I am afraid that the set when you "right click on your display" it will actually be clicking on the Sony HD AVR and not the plasma TV. Either way - I will try to make it work. Thanks for the suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom