Setting Up Raid 0 with Back Up Drive on a Motherboard with 2 Sata Connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clueless M

Beta member
I recently ordered two 1T hard drives, a Seagate 7200.12 and a WD Caviar black.

I have an Asus P5VD2-MX motherboard which only has two Sata 1.5 connectors and 1 Jmicron connector.

I orginally canceled the order for the Seagate as I read some bad reviews which put me off, but the store sent it anyway so i'm now thinking of keeping it, which leaves me with 3 Hard Drives (including my original maxtor 200gb).

My question is considering I have two Sata 1.5 connectors and 1 Jmicron connector can I use all three hard drives?

What I want to do is set up raid 0 on the Seagate and WD Drives, and use the maxtor for backing up files (not part of the Raid).

Can I use the Jmicron connector as a normal Sata connector to attach my backup drive?

The only other option I have is to use the Jmicron connector for 1 drive, and the eSata connector for an external drive set up in Raid 0 which would allow the drives to run at the optimum 300gbs, but I don't want an external drive really.

Please help as I am new to all this but really want to get the best use out of my two new drives without having to buy a new motherboard. What's the best solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom