Looking for some specific upgrade answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
I'm looking at helping a cousin upgrade his computer, but I'm not sure as to what CPU the mobo can actually handle.

The computer is a HP Pavilion a6763w. It has a MCP61PM-HM (Nettle3) motherboard. It currently has the stock CPU, a Phenom X4 9150e.

Mainly, I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this model of computer/mobo and can vouch whether or not it can handle anything better than 65nm or Agena core. I see from the mobo specs that it can handle up to a 95W CPU.

The biggest concern is cost, of course. He could always just go with a CPU and PSU upgrade (I already have him some recommendations for these), but a better CPU would be a welcome change.

Trotter since you have a liittle bit of time call HP directly and ask them point blank:
Can my motherboard handle the agena core or equalivent processor that can match it ?

I would gladly call them myself and ask but I don't have an account with them plus they probably think I am being dodgy with somebody elses account information.

I'll google around and see that mobo can handle the agena core or not I'll post back back here at 11:30 or 12:00pm and let you know what I found.

I thought about that. I know it can handle a 9600 (and a 9650 by default since it is the same CPU without the errata), and he can get one for $89 if he wants it. I seriously doubt that the BIOS would allow for anything newer than that.

Ok, try to atleast asking them over through chat is there a new bios update or bios patch, usually they will have them but won't put them online not unless the customer "REALLY" needs it.
Give it a whirl in the morning after you drink that power shake and see what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom