Question about a mobo review

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuaziBee

Daemon Poster
I'm building a new rig and am doing the normal review searches; when I came across Elite *******s' review I had to double check something.

Here is what is listed:
All of today's testing has been run on the following:

- Intel Core i5 750
- Intel Core i7 920
- 6GB (3x 2GB) G-Skill 1333MHz DDR3 memory
- Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Socket LGA 1366, PCI Express 2.0)
- ASUS P7P5D (Socket LGA 1156, PCI Express 2.0)
- 750GB Seagate hard drive
- Pioneer 16x DVD-ROM
- AMD Radeon HD 4890 1GB
- 1000W Thermaltake Toughpower power supply
- Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)

I'm researching the ASUS board they are reviewing in the article. Here they list 6BG (3x 2BG) of RAM but the P7P5D is a only dual channel while the GA-EX58-UD5 is tri channel.

From what I understood about dual channel is that it has to be used in pairs, concurrently true for tri channel with three sticks.

My questions are as follows:
1: Is it possible to run three sticks of ram successfully on a dual channel motherboard?
2: Am I missing something from the review that would explain this? (I was specifically looking for RAM tests when I found this)
3: Could it just be a typo and they forgot to mention what RAM they used for the ASUS i5 setup?

your link is broken because i think its being auto-censored... i think, idk.
elite b - asus p7p55d review edit: hm... doesnt work. but i know which review youre talking about, i found it on my own.

its the first one in this search right?
http://www.google.com/search?q=asus...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

1. if you use a tri-channel kit of ram on a mobo that supports dual channel, the ram will work but not in tri or dual channel, only single channel.

2. they probably just used 2 of the 3 sticks from the same kit they used in the x58 mobo. using only 2 sticks should run in dual channel.

3. they did make a typo but not regarding any ram.

- ASUS P7P5D (Socket LGA 1156, PCI Express 2.0)
they missed another "5" in the mobo model. it should be asus p7p55d.

at first i thought maybe you made the typo when posting but they made that typo in their review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom