phenom x3

Status
Not open for further replies.

apsoul

In Runtime
a month or 2 ago i was looking into buying an AMD phenom x3 720 BE. Was it always the "Heka" core or was it once the "Propus"? I just started looking into CPU's again and I feel like something changed. Do i remember correctly or am I mistaken?
Also is this still a decent buy for intended overclocking, or has something else shown itself to be better for the $100 price range?

There's a pretty good success rate with unlocking cores and OCing of the 550 BE. Someone recently posted this link here:

Phenom X2 550BE Unlocking/Overclocking Consolidated - Overclockers Australia Forums

Something like 75% chance of unlocking all 4 cores.

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

And as far as i know, the (non-phenom) quad cores were always Propus, so i believe the triple cores were never named propus.. i'm inclined to believe the phenom x3 were always named Heka ;)

So according to that Forum... If i get the x2 550 BE with the right stepping, then I should be able to turn a $90 CPU into the equivalent of the x4 965 at stock speed. (will be using TRUE 120 copper). that would be great. I may be able to build this computer sooner than I thought. Thanks much :)

edit: I understand that one should not buy something like this with the assumption that cores will unlock. And that OCing is unique to each individual CPU. But numbers like that would be something to bet on. I'm also not buying this right away, nor am I sure I will go this route. Just some Info gathering while I shop around. Thanks Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom