Need some advice with this build

Status
Not open for further replies.

topiki

Solid State Member
I'm not the one who wants this computer, but the one who does won't listen to me when I told him that he doesn't need all of this (as all he does is watch videos). With that, please give me some advice on this build:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W
Heat sink: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro
GPU: SAPPHIRE 100281SR Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit
Ram: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
SSD: Intel X25-M Mainstream 2.5" 80GB
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 800D

He already bought the PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V on his own.

I was thinking, maybe I should swap the mobo for another that supports ddr3 ram as well?

There is no budget, so if anything needs to be upgraded, please tell me.

Thanks!

Haha, oops. Yes I do, sorry :sweat:

Okay, how about under $2500 CDN? I'm probably going to have him recycle his keyboard, mouse and monitor. He also went out and bought Windows XP Pro SP 3 and Windows 7 Ultimate, both 64-bit.

Yeah, I know the PSU is overkill, but he bought it a while back, so there's nothing I can do.

hi,
i suggest ATI radeon HD 4890 Is best.
cooler master case with PSU is enabled.

I think I'll stick with the 5870 over the 4890 for now, unless I see good reason to change it. I don't want to be yelled at because the graphics card isn't "good enough" for him :cry:

so just to be clear, this guy doesn't do any gaming at all?! AND TELL HIM TO STOP BUYING!! lol..

why on earth would he buy 2 OSs?

5870 seems ridiculously overkill for just watching movies. A 5770 would also be overkill for just movies; i would go with a 5750... but just in case you could stick with the 5770.

He should get the core i7 920 so that he's good for a few years. Case is rather expensive, he can get something nice for a lot cheaper.

so just to be clear, this guy doesn't do any gaming at all?! AND TELL HIM TO STOP BUYING!! lol..

why on earth would he buy 2 OSs?

5870 seems ridiculously overkill for just watching movies. A 5770 would also be overkill for just movies; i would go with a 5750... but just in case you could stick with the 5770.

He should get the core i7 920 so that he's good for a few years. Case is rather expensive, he can get something nice for a lot cheaper.

None! I've told him so many times, but he refuses to listen. He INSISTS that I build him a really good computer...

I don't know who told him or where he got this info from, but he thinks that a really good graphics card will eliminate any buffering of streaming videos... :crazy: I just can't get through to him... but it's his money.

He wants to dual boot... windows. I tried explaining to him that it's pointless, but...

I'll go with the 5770 as it's a lot cheaper, and also the i7 920. Thanks!

If I change it to i7, then I'd need a new mobo, right?
Are either of these suitable for the job?
ASUS Rampage II Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX
ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX
Or should I get something else?

Ram would need to be changed too...
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 or G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600?

He suggested the case himself, so I thought he might want it... but how's the Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower? He wants a full tower...

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Yup you'll need a socket 1366 motherboard for the core i7 920. Here's a good one:
Newegg.ca - ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

And for ram you could get that G.SKILL kit you linked to. Any good 3X2GB kit will suffice, to utilize triple channel memory on these boards you'll need 3 identical sticks. Some people on these forums prefer OCZ Golds, but they're all good as far as i'm concerned.

As for the case, if he personally liked that obsidian, then what else can you do? Buy my guess is that he liked it after he saw the price tag ;). More expensive = better.

Here's another good case.
Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

and another one:
Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

and that antec 1200 you chose. Tell him not to look at price and base his choice on looks.. because all of the ones mentioned are excellent.

As for the case, if he personally liked that obsidian, then what else can you do? Buy my guess is that he liked it after he saw the price tag ;). More expensive = better.

Tell him not to look at price and base his choice on looks.. because all of the ones mentioned are excellent.
You're probably right... because he does think that way, haha, but I'll try telling him.

So, after compiling everything, I got this as a result:
Motherboard: EVGA E758-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX
CPU: Intel Core i7-920
Heat sink: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro
GPU: XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Or some other brand, I'm not sure yet)
RAM: OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
SSD: Intel X25-M Mainstream 2.5" 80GB
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 800D or COOLER MASTER HAF 932 --Because I also have this case and love it :big_smile:
The PSU and OS can't be changed because he already bought them...
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V
OS: Windows XP SP 3 and Windows 7 Ultimate (both 64-bit)

How does it sound? Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom