New computer build experiencing some problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daxter92

Solid State Member
I've just build a new computer build and am experiencing some problems with it.
When you try to turn it on you get mixed results, sometimes nothing at all happens, others it will run for about half a second and then stop, sometimes it will go for a random length of time which is about 10 seconds then turn off, and then a couple of times it has actuality ran properly. I have taken the motherboard out of the case and tried to run it out of the case, it worked once, but other times was the same as usual. Once when I touched the power switch on the from of the case I got a bit of an electric shock from it, I don't know if that related. Furthermore, one time when I tried to plug the power cable into the back of the power supply it fused the whole house, the switch was on at the wall but the switch on the back of the power supply was off and I wasn't touching any of the buttons on the front of the case. I've tried running it with only the bare minimum plugged in, so the motherboard, cpu, graphics card and ram only, and it still had the same problem, except for once, this was the only other time I got it to run. I've tried RAM in different slots and both 1 and 2 sticks of RAM.
I think that the problem maybe with a faulty power supply, but before I try to send it back I wanted to see what people here though the problem might be.
All the components are brand new, and this is a list of them:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P AMD 770 Socket AM3 6 Channel Audio Out ATX Motherboard.
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 620 2.6GHz AM3 Retail Boxed Processor
RAM: Crucial 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz/PC3-10600 Ballistix Memory Kit CL6 1.8V
HD: Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATAII 7200RPM 16MB Cache - OEM
Graphics card: Sapphire HD 4550 512MB DDR3 VGA DVI HDMI HDCP PCI-E Graphics Card including Low Profile bracket.
Disk drive: Sony AD-5240S 24x DVD±RW DL Internal SATA Black Bare Drive - OEM
PSU: Powwa 600W 12cm Fan >80% High Efficiency PSU - 20+4pin 6pin PCI-E 2x SATA.

Any help would be really appreciated.
Thanks very much.

it does sound like memory issues.
try this.
use google or go to the website that made the memory and go to the specs. see what voltage it is rated at.
if its not 1.8 (default) your motherboard may not be seeing the memory properly. try a borrowing a 800mhz stick from someone and see if your computer starts.if it does start then shutoff and restart and go to the bios to see what the memory is set at.
also try pulling the battery off the motherboard for 20 seconds and reinstall. in the gigabyte manual it will tell you where the two pins are located to short out to reset the bios in the motherboard.
and try switching the power and reset two pin connectors. sometimes the manual and case mfg may not be using the same colored wires. this happen just two weeks ago on my new computer, took half a day to figure out.
if any of this works please post back your results

Ok thanks for the reply. I've just been looking at the site where I brought everything from and I noticed that the RAM is rated at 1.8V however the motherboard says : '4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory (Note2)'
I was just wondering what was best to do from here, as I don't think i'll be able to borrow any RAM as all my current RAM is DDR2. Would it be possible if I brought a cheaper stick if RAM and then just change the Motherboard setting to take the 1.8V or would this cause instability? Or would it just be better to buy some new RAM which runs at 1.5v and sell the RAM I currently have?
Thanks very much.
P.S. This is the motherboard and RAM I currently have:
Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P AMD 770 Socket AM3 6 Channel Audio Out ATX Motherboard - Ebuyer
Crucial 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz/PC3-10600 Ballistix Memory Kit CL6 1.8V - Ebuyer

here is the specs from the gigabyte webpage. look at the memory and read line 4 and look at the bottom of the page for (note3) i dont know if this is the problem, i have never come across this yet. before you put out more money for memory, call gigabyte support on monday. i have had to call them twice before. i dont try and ******** the guy. just explain what you did. they have always fixed my problem and friendly. its been me both times.

I can't find anywhere that tell you if the processor will take ecc ram or not. Gigabyte don't have a customer support phone number in the UK which is where I am, so i rang the people who I brought it from and they said the best bet would be to try some ram rated at 1.5v.
I thought this would be the best stuff to get as its 1.5v and non-ecc just in case thats the problem:
Kingston DDR3 2GB 1333MHz i5 Memory Module CL9 1.5V - Ebuyer
I know the motherboard has "Dual channel memory architecture" but I just wonted to make sure that this meant that it would still take just 1 stick of RAM and not only 2 sticks or 4 sticks.
Thanks very much.

You said the PC shocked you? I would double check all your connections? You should also check and make sure all your stand-offs are located properly. It is most likely the cheap Powwa power supply.

Ok, so should I replace the RAM or the power supply? Yeah I did get a shock but only once and it wasn't that bad so I could just have been static, but I doubt it. What the best way to check the stand-offs are correct, as they look fine to me (there are only 2 of them btw).
Thanks

there should be at least 6 standoffs. normally with one stick of ram the computer will at least let you into the bios so that you can change settings. do you have an old computer that you can borrow the power supply from with the sata connectors. also try holding the power button pressed in with out letting go. maybe you have a bad case switch.
(just a thought) can you post a pic of the 8 pin power connectors. reset/ps/hdd/?

I don't think its the standoffs (although I do need some more) as i took the motherboard out of the case completely and it still had the same problem. I have tried holding the power button in and the same thing happens. Is it looking like its the power supply then and not the RAM?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom