Attempting to upgrade this old P4 to a gaming rig. Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobkon

Baseband Member
Hey guys! just a few quick questions. Was just given an older desktop by a friend today, going to see if it can be upgraded to be a decent gaming rig. Heres what its got...

MOBO - ECS Elitegroup L4S8A2 Board (8x AGP)
PROCESSOR - Intel P4 2.4GHz
RAM - Going to upgrade this to 3GB (max the mobo can take)
HDD - Western Digital 1200JB 7200RPM 120GB
PSU - Thermaltake TR2-430W 430watt
GPU - Currently an ATI Radeon 9550 256mb

Heres my question...what can be upgraded here, or better yet, what would you do to make this system the best gaming system it could be without changing the mobo? If I throw in a ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, will it perform well with this system?

Thanks for all the help! I've found this board extremely helpful so far! :)

Not even worth it man, especially with AMD/Intel and ATI/Nvidia competing so hard. Plus, most good agp cards are not especially cheap and will more then likely be bottlenecked by the P4. Also, That ECS Board is most likely garbage. Time for a new build bro.

Hmmm. Well maybe I wasn't as clear as I could be. I'm not looking for crazy gaming rig. Just something that can maybe play a game like Bioshock or Team Fortress 2 on medium settings or so? I already have an xbox 360, so I want a comp that can play those non xbox games. Thing is I'm just super broke right now, and I can get that 2600XT GPU for under $100. Is this still at all possible ? Trying everything I can here before saying screw it. :/

Also, if this is definitely a no go, is there anything worth parting out to use in a new rig?

you could reuse the hdd and optical drives and maybe the case. maybe the psu too if youre only going to use the onboard-video from a mobo or a low-end gfx card.

if you can bump your budget to $200 you could get a pretty decent upgrade.

CPU+MOBO+RAM+GPU for $200 that's semi-low end by today's standard, but will destroy that P4 2.4ghz.

if you can bump your budget to $200 you could get a pretty decent upgrade.

CPU+MOBO+RAM+GPU for $200 that's semi-low end by today's standard, but will destroy that P4 2.4ghz.

hmm, interested to know how I can buy all that for $200? can you post any links possibly? Maybe im misunderstanding your post here...hmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom