4890 over 4850, Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirkpitt45

Daemon Poster
Friend of mine's getting his vacation pay that's two years overdue apparently, so he's splurging on a 5870 and third monitor. I told him I'd consider his 4890 (XFX xXx edition), says he only wants around $150 for it.

Right now I've got an XFX 4850 1gb and a main monitor at 2048x1152. Everything runs pretty well right now, as long as AA is off, though crysis on enthusiast is a bit much, ~24 fps. Was better before I had dual monitors, some issue with CCC that causes computer to crash if the card is overclocked. I don't really mind it, but I figure I could get $85 or so for my 4850, $50 from the parents (passing money, exams are done tomorrow). So I'd be getting a 4890 for $25 give or take. Which seems like a pretty good deal.

Think it's worth it?

If it was me, I would want to get a 5 series card just in case I wanna use some dx11 features. And $150 isn't a once in a lifetime amazing deal for a used 4890 even if it is XFX.
My advice would be to stick with what you got until you see a 5 series card in your performance and price range that catches your eye. If 4890 performance is what your after the 5830 is supposed to be the 4890's replacement if IRC.

By the way, what I just typed is exactly what I am doing as well sort of... but I refuse to buy before fermi's been on the market a few months.

i agree, if you like what dx11 has to offer you could wait for the upcoming 5830 which is supposed to have similar 4890 performance w/ dx11.

but just as a straight upgrade, for (from your calculations) +/- $25, that seems like a good deal. performance wise, a 4890 would be similar (depending on the game) to xfire'd 4850s and since its from xfx, the card would still have a lifetime warranty. so IMO, its worth it.

i think 4850 is better.
in my desktop i am using 4850.
becoz , my friends are using xfx 4890 sometimes it happen overclocked.

i think 4850 is better.

What happens?

I am using an xfx 4890 and really like it, that said I don't think I'd pay $150 for a used one. I got mine at bestbuy for $160ish after sale and coupon, and that was only a month ago. I'd probably just wait for a a 58xx myself.

i think 4850 is better.

Once again you say this. It's simply not true. And once again, no one really knows what else you are trying to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom