In Runtime
System Specs:
ASUS P5Q SE/R Mobo
Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0ghz
Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit - SP1
4.0gb OCZ Reaper RAM
ATI Radeon 4850 video card
2x Acer V223W 22" widescreen monitors

Problem: I'm still not sure if this is a hardware or software issue, but here is the problem. I shut my computer down last night, it was working just fine. I turned it on in the morning, and everything seemed fine, until I started up a game, and I immediately noticed graphical problems. The monitors then shut down, and would cycle on and off, with intense graphical errors on the monitor when they did start up. I wasn't able to get any input, so I held the power button to turn off the computer, and restarted. This time, right from the startup, there were graphical errors on the monitor. Everything from random lines, a distribution of red dots, thick red lines, weird looking multi-color static, etc. I was able to start up, but the system soon after crashed, I have since tried restarting a lot while doing various things, and some times when I went to turn it off, I would get a BSOD, one of the errors I was able to see was "BAD_POOL_HEADER" or something akin to "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGE_AREA" or something like that. I am now able to start the system up, but very few programs will work, I can't connect to the internet, and the graphical errors are still there.

Solutions I Have Tried:
Regular Restart
Spybot S&D Full Scan
Re-Install Video Drivers (As well as CCC)
Eliminated all non-neccessary startup programs

At this point, I am lost as to what to do.

If more info is needed, let me know and I will do my best to provide it.

So I think I **MAY** have identified the culprit, after some more research I think my video ram may be overheating or going bad. I don't think its a permenant problem yet, because when I leave the computer off for a while it starts up like normal. After listening to my computer and playing around with the "ATI Overdrive" settings, it seems that the fan on the video card doesn't turn on automatically, I had it set to run at 100% all the time (because that kept my video card at a reasonable ~60c), but it sounds like when I turn the computer on it doesn't even engage the fan.

Any ideas as to what could have changed the fan's speed settings, or caused it to not even turn on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom