Buying high end gaming pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan06

Beta member
I am considering buying an alienware aurora desktop. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with these as I am new to alienware, or any alternatives to this system.
Also would anyone happen to know the exact type of ram this model uses so I could find prices if I was to upgrade later myself.

You should build it yourself.

Its no harder than putting legos together, just youtube pc building guides.

How much you want to spend?

Im looking to spend £1000-£1500, would rather not build myself though as I do not have much spare time

I agree, you should build it yourself. It doesn't take too long and its not hard at all. Alienware charges a lot for what seems to be the brand name.

If you're intent on buying it, Alienware's a good brand for the high-performance enthusiast's buck. That said, if you're not going for a top-of-the-line Alienware, you could go for a top-of-the-line Dell for cheaper than an Alienware with similar stats. Dell's general lineup reaches halfway, maybe 3/4 into the Alienware performance band. You'll always be paying for looks and name if you want the Alienware computer though.

Really, though, everyone else is right. You'll save money (or just get better performance) if you build yourself. Once you have the parts in your house, it should be pretty easy to get the thing built in an evening, say 3-6 hours, or if you're really cautious (which is to be respected) you might be able to spend a Sunday putting it all together.

if you didnt want to build it yourself, i agree getting a custom prebuilt would be the next best idea but not from alienware, they are just too expensive for what you get.

(example)

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System
for a $1,200 alienware pc:

- i7 920
- 3 gigs of 1066mhz ram
- gts 240
- 500gb hdd
- win7 home premium
- 1 year warranty

Gamer Xtreme XT
for this $1,150 pc (already $50 cheaper upfront):

- i7 920 (same cpu)
- 6gigs of ddr3 1333mhz ram (more and faster ram)
- hd 5770 (better gfx card)
- 1tb hdd (double the storage)
- win7 home premium (same OS)
- 3 year warranty (longer warranty)
- keyboard + mouse already included in price

so...should be pretty clear which one is the better deal.

for custom prebuilts
CyberPower Inc. - UNLEASH THE POWER - Create the Custom Gaming PC and Laptop Computer of your dreams
iBUYPOWER: High Performance Custom Gaming Computers and Notebooks

I would also say , if you could spare an afternoon on the weekend you could get it built yourself.

Also you would have the parts thet YOU want and the brand that you want.

All of the posters above are correct when they say you will save money building it yourself. Me, I went all out and finally got the Wife to let me buy a "dream" system from Alienware. I guess it comes down to individual preference. Do you buy Nike or the generic 10 dollar running shoe. Do you like knowing you have some kind of warranty/assistance on your purchase? Do you like the "wow" factor of the custom Area 51 ALX case?

You just have to ask yourself these questions and them go for it. Either way, enjoy the experience and I hope you end up with what you were shooting for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom