computer randomly shuts off - help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sketchymak

Beta member
Every so often, maybe twice a day, my computer will shut down of its own accord. It doesn't restart, just shuts-down, and when I turn it back on I don't even get the scan-disk message.

The shut-down may occur when I am in the middle of doing something (grrr!), or when I am way across the room and have no programs running. There is never an error message.

All my drivers seem to be up to date, and all plugs are connected securely. I am running AVG anti-virus, I have Ad-Aware, and Search and Destroy.

I checked the system error messages in computer management, but I really have no idea what they mean. I seem to have quite a few though.

Today I got four system error 102s, and 1 w32time 36 error.

Yesterday was much worse, I can't even count the number of errors. They were: cdrom error #7 (lots), and service control errors #7023 and 7036. These errors occured multiple times in the same second!!

Any clue? This is driving me nuts!

Thanks,

Makyla

check your temps in the bios, also check the voltages in the bios, make sure you psu is delivering constant voltages etc.

I disabled the automatic shutdown, and a few minutes ago I got a blue screen!

It said:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP: 0X000000D1 (OXBF97AE87, 0X000000FF, 0X00000000, 0XBF97AE87)

win32k.sys - Address BF97AE87, Base at BF800000, DateStamp 3b7de698

Scary!!

I have virus scanned, but I'm not sure how to check my memory.

When I restarted my computer the last time I got sent to the Microsoft site and they said it was a driver problem, but I haven't downloaded any new drivers.

Do I just uninstall all my drivers and re-download? How would I go about doing this?

that is a Ram problem

give us your system profile too

my ram gave out the exact same codes when i ran it in dual channel mode

however it was fine in regular mode

also

did you change anything in your bios that's related to ram?

sometime that will lock up your computer when it read certain part of the ram, which that is what that code is saying, that there is an error when reading certain part of your ram

System Manufacturer
System Model: System Name
BIOS Version: Award Software, Inc. ASUS P4S333-M ACPI BIOS Revision 1006

Memory (RAM)
Capacity: 512 MB

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz
Version: x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4
Speed: 1816 MHz

Total Capacity: 75.55 GB
Sum of Hard Disks: (C: D: )
Used: 45.26 GB

Free: 30.28 GB

Video Card
Model: RADEON 9200 SERIES
Driver: ati2mtag.sys
August 25, 2004
Supported

Video Card
Model: RADEON 9200 SERIES - Secondary
Driver: ati2mtag.sys
August 25, 2004
Support

Sound Card
Manufacturer: Silicon Integrated Systems Corp.(1.11.02)
Model: SiS 7012 Audio Driver
Driver: sis7012.sys
September 7, 2004
Supported

Network Card
Model: SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Driver: sisnic.sys
August 30, 2004
Supported

Local Disk (non-partitioned) Maxtor 6E040L0

(D:) Capacity - 38.29 GB
Used: 23.65 GB
Free: 14.63 GB

Local Disk (non-partitioned) WDC WD400BB-00CFC0

(C:) Capacity - 37.26 GB
Used: 21.61 GB
Free: 15.64 GB

Is this what you need?

I had someone come and install more RAM about a month ago, problems started then, but are getting worse. I just added another 256 to get to 512.

Should I call him and tell him to fix things up? I'm kinda nervous to do that if he was the one who screwed things to begin with.

load your bios setup defaults and see if it will go away.

sometimes enabling things to speed up your computer like caching your bios or video ram will cause a system error if a program tries to write to a certain area of your ram

also ask him is the ram running in dual channel mode? if so, put it in regular mode

if neither of these fix the problem, the ram module itself is faulty. i have bought a brand new bad ram chip before.

I got memtest and it found no faults with the ram.

This is from the windows site: "Stop 0xD1 messages can occur after installing faulty drivers or system services."

So how can I find out which driver is doing this?

Do I uninstall them all?

I could start in safe mode, but it shuts down randomly, sometimes it won't shut down for a couple of days, and I don't want to leave it in safe mode for that long.

sketchymak remove all RAM sticks except 1 and test each one for a few days. If windows crashes take out that RAM and test with the other stick alone. You should be able to figure out which RAM stick is faulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom