Mpeg M2V problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

BookerT

Baseband Member
Hey everyone im a having a serious problem i need help with. I have a mpeg file which requires a m2v codec. It runs fine now thanks to the m2v codec. But the only problem is that the seeker is locked. And ive tried about 20 different converters to try and convert it too a easier to use format. Still no use and i get the message unsupported format. Can someone help me i would really like to convert this to a format in which i can use the seeker and use it in windows movie maker to make my videos.

An m2v is an mpeg2 'video only stream' in other words it contains no AUDIO (often descibed as an ES or Elementary Stream)..... its as simple as that.

There is NO such thing as a dedicated 'm2v codec' all it takes is a media player and a mpeg2 codec (like ANY SOFTWARE DVD PLAYER).

Try downloading VLC (Videolan) if you need a DVD player....or re-name the file with a .mpg extension instead of .m2v.

http://www.videolan.org/

If your using WMP as your media player (god forbid) then you will need a mpeg2 codec 'plugin' usually available by installing a software DVD player (or at least its mpeg2 codec)...VLC's is self contained and WMP cannot make use of it.

As for trying 20 different convertors.......hmmmmm

http://www.divx-digest.com/software/mpeg2avi.html

it will Make it a compatible (correct) mpeg file that all of burning program will accept.

it also will tell what was wrong with original file.

But it doesnt need re-encoding...all it needs is a player that supports .m2v's or the file name changing to an .mpg extension........why waste hours doing unnecessary work....and STILL ending up with a m2v file..?

you odviuosly haven't try to play some mpeg files with other program

not every mpeg or m2v's file will be in a format that other program will recognize or

not every mpeg or m2v's file is truly a mpeg or m2v file

for example capturing a mpeg with power vcr on high quality dvd mpeg setting will give you a superior image, but most program will not recognize it and an unsupport format will come up most of the time.

tmpegenc will tell you the video bitrate is too high and that , that is not a standard mpeg and it will convert to a standard mpeg for you

bookerT
ifoedit will recognized some goofy mpeg format

Total bull.

An mpeg is an mpeg and an m2v is an m2v. Wether they are COMPLIANT to any standalone format (VCD, SVCD, DVD) is another matter....but that is not the posters question is it? He's not ASKED to make compliant files ready for authoring to DVD.........

vance43211 is right....not every MPEG is the same. I've had lots of MPEG's wich do not load in some players.

there are different types, just like with MP3's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom