Not open for further replies.

fakebird

Baseband Member
I recently put together a new PC. the specs are as follows:
intel i7 @ 2.70GHz
6GBddr3 ram
Nvidia geforce GTX285 2gb vid ram
1,630 watts on my power supplys

Everything ran smooth...untill... i tried to play counter strike: source.
wtf2852.jpg

wtf285.jpg

Ive never had a video card artifact in CS:S, Only in WoW. So i install WoW and run that, the log in screen freezes, then artifacts. But, other than the log in screen, WoW doesnt artifact the game at all, even on ultra video settings, and i had the ones in CS:S really low.

I called the company who made my card and asked why it would be artifacting so soon, all he could say was try reinstalling CS:S. So i did, and even reinstalled XP and all my drivers. Still messing up.

Any ideas on what to do ? It has a lifetime warranty.

I would try another set of video card drivers....if that does not do it.....send that card back.

What power supply are you using....do you have the power supply plugged into the card.

How many watts on that power supply....certainlt 1630 watts is not right?

i have 2 power supplys, a 1k watt by rosewill and a 630watt. yes 1,630watts is right. as for the drivers, i tried the ones on the disc it came with, and the ones from the website. the 1kwatt power supply has both 6 pin cords properly connected into it. The way the duel power supply works is, 1 PSU powers the mobo and the videocard. the other, doesnt get pluged into the mobo other than grounds and 1 rail to be able to turn it on at the same time as the other PSU. The 2nd PSU runs all the fans, hard drives, DVD drives, etc.

I'm sure you're doing something wrong with the PSU's

actually...most houses breaker boxes are made so that you can only have 1500 watts on one breaker..so unless you have 1 PSU plugged into 1 side of the house and the other in another....it would kick the breaker :p

other than that...I'm sure it's a driver issue. Does this happen with any other games or have you tried?

Actually no it works just fine ^^ it runs everything perfectly fine, better than on just 1k watts. Anyways, as i said before, ive tried the only 2 drivers for it. the one from the disc and the one on the site. And yes i tried it on WoW and it doesnt artifact the game, just the login screen.

Also, my sound system takes 1,400watts. so thats around 3k. Breaker has never tripped or blew any fuses as of yet.

Actually no it works just fine ^^ it runs everything perfectly fine, better than on just 1k watts. Anyways, as i said before, ive tried the only 2 drivers for it. the one from the disc and the one on the site. And yes i tried it on WoW and it doesnt artifact the game, just the login screen.

motherboard drivers installed?

are the drivers from the site the most up to date?

when you install these drivers did you properly remove before installing new ones?

(and just so you know...you're system could probably run on like 500-600 watts, so 1600watts is insane over kill)

ya dude 1630 watts is a waste. Because PSU's are typically least efficient at low loads, you are really just wasting electricity. It is really the best move to get a PSU that suits your computers need, no need for overkill.
As an example, the system in my sig uses about 450W at 100% load, and thats with about 10 fans and a water cooling system.

As for your artifacting issue, I would use something like Driver Sweeper to completely remove your old drivers, then try an older release of drivers and see if the issue still persists.

First off, you do realize that your computer is never ever going to use more than 600 watts, right? The other 600 watts you have is just sitting there doing nothing. Its sort of like buying a BluRay disk and burning something that could fit on a DVD.

But anyways, it sounds like a driver issue.. Update your video card drivers and see if you get any improvement.

If that doesn't work, then you'll need to run a 3D benchmark and see if you get any artifacts. rthdribl is one that I've had much success with. I'd run multiple instances of rthdribl and see if you stay stable. It would also help if you provided us with the temperature of your GPU while under load.

Do you get any blue screens? Any random errors when your not gaming? If yes, then its possible that your GPU might not have anything to do with your artifacts.

Once you've confirmed that its not drivers, or overheating, I'd go ahead and return that chip and get a new one.

Use the nVidia System Tools to downclock the card. My card did the same thing, but only on the high end games (Crysis, GTA IV, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom