Q6600 bottleneck newer cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyboy

Daemon Poster
Just wondering if I'd be able to purchase one of the newer DX11 compatible cards or if a Q6600 at 3ghz would bottleneck it too much? I'll probably OC it a tad more. Can anyone tell me the max safe temp at load for a Q6600 G0?

I was thinking a 5870? I assume by the price point their considerably better then a 4870? Just thought it would help me get a bit of a framerate boost in demanding games like Crysis and get some more life out of this rig before I get a totally new one in fall 2011 or early 2012.

I can't tell you anything about temps, but that cpu won't bottleneck.

The 4870 acts about on par with the 5770. The 5870 is a great card but your cpu is good enough to not bottleneck

ok cheers guys! I'm certainly going to upgrade the GPU since they seem to be the best idea(with more RAM) to get a bit more life out of the system, especially with Quads handling most games pretty well, the GPU being the weakness in systems.

I'll have to see what's available fall of this year.:grin:. My HD4870 is fine for the most part, Crysis is obviously a bit of a push but smooth enough on high settings.

A q6600 will not bottle neck much, if anything.

Also, since that is 65nm, the max temp on those are like 95-110C.

i think you are referring to tjmax, but imo you should never run your cpu that hot for everyday use

for a q6600 anything under 70C is safe

Yep, I thought he wanted to know the Tjmax.

I'll pretend I know what that is...

but nah I meant the hottest It should be getting while OC'd to still be in the recommended range. So around 70c.

cheers guys!

oh is 38c when I'm only browsing the web an ok temp or does that sound high? When I'm playing a game it's usually 55c I think, that is when it is at 3ghz. I'll have a better look though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom