New heatsink, which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
im not getting you... lol

what i meant was, if you have a bowed waterblock and lap it, it will perform worse. if you take a air heatsink and lap it, it gets better... im curious as to why that is..

btw my 100% load temps are under 60C :) what are yours? ;)

I've lapped waterblocks, a couple of years ago, and they've always performed better. Flatter is always better. The bow is suppose to be for the flexing a mobo often does when the cooling apparatus is tightened down. The problem is, the socket itself isn't bending nor is the cpu or the heatspreader. And considering a waterblock doesn't need to be super tight there really shouldn't be a reason for a bow.

Hey nice find. that picture on that page; I live in this building!:

Too funny, I would say their "am meter" is off. I would give it a low 70's instead of their 81.

Anyway, I'm leaning toward the Megahalem, but having a tough time picking out the right fans. I am a little confused on the specs..
Reading on the specifications of the Magahalem:

Fan Compatibility: 120 x 120 x 25 mm
120 x 120 x 38mm (optional fan clips required)

Recommended Fan Speed Range: 800~1200 RPM
Recommended Fan Noise Level: Below 26 dBA

I'm kind of confused because to get additional fan clips, they only offer 120x38, but it comes with 4 fan mounting clips already, that must be 4 for 120x25? Wondering if I should get 2 fans or just a single? And should I follow those recommendations of the lower RPM and CF? Or should I go with a low decibel 1600rpm?

Sorry for all the questions, I know nothing about fans and heatsinks :(

looks like you get a nice view! (depending on which side you're facing... hope you're not facing the adjacent building :p)

Anyways as for heatsinks, i don't know much about them, but i'll admit that corsair looks pretty nice!

I like Silverstone fans the best, I'm using (2) of these in a push-pull. This one comes with a fan controller so you can run it full speed for max. performance, low speed for silent computing or your favorite in-between setting :D
SilverStone FM123 120x120x25mm w/ Fan Controller - (FM123) - FrozenCPU.com

If you'd rather have a fan with LED's then this Cooler Master fan has simular performance to the Silverstone (it also has a fan controller) :D
Cooler Master 120x25mm Dual Ball Silent Fan - Blue LED (Y720DCD-25T1-GP) - 110.0CFM - FrozenCPU.com

I've also used the Scythe Kaze 120x38mm with good success as a single fan solution for Hi-Performance Computing. But it will block a few memory slots if your memory has a higher than normal profile. And it doesn't come with a fan controller so you have only one real choice, buy a low, medium or high speed model and live with it. You can buy a 120x25mm fan that will match the low and medium speed fans so why risk blocking a memory slot. The Hi-Speed model is the only good choice.
Scythe Ultra Kaze 120 x 38mm Fan - 3000 RPM (DFS123812H-3000) - FrozenCPU.com

Or if your looking for a good economical fan then the Yate Loon is hard to beat. You can buy (2) fans for less than the price of (1) Silverstone or Cooler Master. The Yate Loon doesn't have a fan controller so you adjust the noise and air flow by adding or removing fans :D
High Speed - Yate Loon 120mm x 25mm UV Reactive LED Fan - UV Blue (D12SH-124UB) - FrozenCPU.com
Med. Speed - Yate Loon 120mm x 25mm UV Reactive LED Fan - UV Blue (D12SM-124UB) - FrozenCPU.com
Low Speed - Yate Loon 120mm x 25mm UV Reactive LED Fan - UV Blue (D12SL-124UB) - FrozenCPU.com

Do those Silverstone's get pretty loud if you put them up to like 75% speed? Haven't considered LED fans...that might look good though, and they are pretty silent.

edit: As far as that Scythe Ultra Kaze 120x38 you posted, considering the size of the Megahalem paired with one of those would definitely put my RAM sticks at risk, they are pretty high profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom