Installing a New Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't use your hard drive in another computer. Not only will it not work, but it violates the Windows license which is tied to your current hardware.

Are you serious? I thought my Windows license lets me use my OS in one computer - any one computer. In any case, given that they won't support Win XP any more, I hardly think they have the right to insist on maintaining licensing requirements. (Okay, okay, that's me grumbling. I'm not off to do anything illegal, because I'm the one who always gets caught.)

Anyway, things are looking more hopeful re the power supply. The label is very hard to read -it's tucked deep into the computer and shadowed by other components. it's also much smaller than others I've seen and interspersed with Chinese and what looks like microscopic Hebrew. I was unable to get a camera shot (too dark, too small, couldn't get an angle that wasn't distorted), so I copied the info as best I could. (Notice the 300W written in orange! It was so small I didn't see it the first time. Does it mean I can use a graphics card that requires a 300W power supply? I was going by the "total power output cannot exceed" lines before.

Mfr: Delta Electronics
Model: DP8-300AB-19A RBV: 00F
Input: 100 - 127 V ~ /8A
47 Hz - 83 Hz ..... 200 - 240 V 14A
Output: +12V /19A ..... +3.3V /18A
Max Power: +5V /25A +5Vstb /2A
300W .... -12V /0.8A
+5V & +12V TOTAL POWER OUTPUT CAN'T EXCEED 268W
+5V & +3.3V TOTAL POWER OUTPUT CAN'T EXCEED 175W

and then there are two bar codes, and written above them are:
HP PIN: 5188-2625
DLT 300AB 19A 00F

A retail version will let you, but not an OEM version.

Yep, looks like a 300W, but I would call it a 250W due to the max output.

You've got PM.

Interestingly, Best Buy just sold me an NVIDIA GeForce 8400 (for twice the price, but at least I can return it).

The whole point was, I thought my power supply was not the required 300W.

So my current question is, from the label info I posted, is it 300W after all, or do I go by the "Maximum ouput cannot exceed" numbers?

Still hoping for an answer to this last, very urgent question about which wattage on the label I use to determine whether I can use a graphics card that requires 300W?

taken from the guide here http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/read-first-updated-power-supply-guide-221778/

Continuous vs. Peak wattage

There are some companies such as PC Power and Cooling that will advertise the continuous wattage of their product, where as most companies advertise the peak output of their product. The difference between the two is the peak output is the maximum wattage that power supply can output. It cannot maintain this level for long periods of time, but can produce the output if demanded. Continuous output means the power supply is able to output that specific wattage for an indefinite amount of time (Under specific temperatures). The idea here is that if you see two power supplies where one says peak wattage output of 500 watts and another advertised as 500 continuous watts, the one that is rated for a continuous output of 500 watts actually has a much higher peak ratting. Continuous output is more important than peak, it is not safe or wise to have a power supply running at or near it's peak output, as this will cause more inconsistent voltages, amperages, decreases in efficiency and increases risk of failure. It is recommended to purchase a power supply that is able to output more than your system requires.

Thanks, Muffin Man, for the link to the power supply guide. I skimmed it, but a good deal of it was over my head, and it didn't answer my basic questions (except the part about rails helped a bit).

What would happen if my power supply got overloaded? Would it blow out the whole motherboard?

Fat Clown talks about gaming. I'm not hard core, but I do play games that require 3D graphics, and I watch movies and TV over the Internet, so I need to be sure my power supply can handle those things with the new card without being overloaded.

Trotter, somehow your post didn't show up until today, even though you posted before I did? Huh.

I guess at this point, I feel it's safe to at least try installing the thing and seeing if it brings back my 3D graphics. If it doesn't, all of this becomes moot anyway. Even so, I'll still check back in case anyone answers my question above.

A failed power supply can take out a whole system. It's not worth it. If you want to upgrade, upgrade. Don't do it half way and risk taking out more system components.

Thanks for the answer, DoubleHelix.

I specifically DO NOT want to upgrade. That is a last resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom