Upgrading Power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chump

Baseband Member
So first off here are my specs

Mobo Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Video Card Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100266HDMI Radeon HD 4830 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

HD (x2) Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Memory(2x2gb) Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 Desktop Memory Model KHX8500D2K2/4G - Desktop Memory
+Memory(2x1gb) (same model and brand)

PSU Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

OS(s) Windows XP MCE On First HD and Windows 7 home 64bit on second HD

Processor: Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

So heres my problem
One of my goals of my own computer was to have it future proof and upgradeable and that goal has failed since I am using DDR2 memory and now memory is going into DDR3. Also MY motherboard is limited to one PCI 2.0 slot so i could never have double video cards. My best piece i would say would be my CPU.
So another problem is i am having monitor black outs, as in my montior loses connection and can only regain connection by restarting my whole computer. I am thinking its either two things. one my power supply is too weak or maybe something is heating up too much?

So i am looking to spend 200$ on a nice upgrade and I am thinking to start with a power supply.
I am thinking...Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies.

any ideas would be helpful. thanks.

Have you always had this problem or only recently? Assuming your psu is in correct working order it would run your system easily, in saying that i wouldn't advise adding any new components to your system. Have you checked temps on your 4830?

Yha, save your money.

While its only 450W Corsairs have excellent Amps, and quality components.

You don't need a new psu yet.

Unless youre running huge resolutions, single cards are just dandy, and 2 cards are barely noticable.

Youre issue is most likely gpu or monitor. I'd borrow a monitor and try that out anbd eliminate the screen.
Heat issue would usually lag out first as iut down clocked, then locked up, but lie baron said, check your temps with gpu-z or riva tuner or ati tools.

On that Antec Calculator... Its a little low, as my sli system oc'd reports only 500W... Which is kind low.. The other version of that calculator gave e a 800ish Watts..

well using GPU-z right now the temp is floating around 37C. UPDATE: while playign a game for a bit it seems like around 40-44
This problem started when I get this monitor and was very frequent but then it stopped happening for a while and then started to happen again recently. Its just weird that I cannot just unplug the monitor and replug it back in. The only way to get it to work again is to reboot.
Also if this helps sometimes the sound would fade away with the monitor like it would buzz for a second. and a couple of times the screen was not just black (i forget the certain colors).

Its been a while but again my monitor went black. The monitor does not shut off i just can not see anything but a black/bluish screen. The computer appears to continue to run and the only way to fix it is to manually reboot. Its not the monitor because i can still adjust brightness and everything and i tried to plug in another monitor after "this incident" happened.
If my deciscription is not enough here are similar problems..
My monitor goes black while using the computer, especially during video games - TechSpot OpenBoards
Screen randomly goes blank but system doesn't seem to reset... - Graphics-Cards - Graphic-Displays

Well It seems to be either the power supply or video card.
I am thinking for a power supply upgrade something like
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
But quick question whats the difference between HX and TX? it seems TX is cheaper so I am assuming HX is better. And my current one is VX...

And for my video card I think i should grab the new
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

I have seen a similar problem with someone using a Westinghouse L2410NM, his monitor was having a problem with HDCP handshakes, causing it to go black at random. (It would still be on, just displaying a black screen.)

I honestly doubt it's your PSU as the 450w Corsair should be more than enough for your system.
Try to swap in a different GPU and test it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom