Having trouble with either ide converter or motherboard ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-RockMan-

Banned
A couple of weeks ago by the end of december I overclocked my mobo by 5%.
It didn't like the new voltages so it knocked out the components for about a hour and came back on after a cmos reset.
At the time I had a IDE to sata converter adapter on my DVD-RW burner LG for about 1 year.
It was working fine until that incident and then later stopped functioning.
I bought this from honk kong like last time: IDE TO SATA 100/133 HDD CD DVD Converter Adapter +Cable - eBay (item 250552313757 end time Jan-21-10 02:42:58 PST)
The adapter comes on and has a green light on the adapter the DVD-RW does have power but it's not being recognized at all by bios or windows 7 pro.
I did some testing and put the ide to sata on my old hdd western digital and hooked up my other hdd with the DVD burner with one single IDE cable....

The backup hdd showed up with sata converter and the ide cable only detected the DVD burner ?
I am totally confused about this because this mobo never did that with the other ide converter or neither did my old dead foxconn mobo do this to me...
Can someone please give me some insight on what might be the problem ?
Also I believe the seller sent me the wrong power adapter, it has only one black and one red wire connected on a 2 prong cable.

seagate 80gb hdd is the master
western digital 80gb backup is slaved
LG DVD-RW is master on only one sata cable

Maybe I'm tired, but your post confused the smack out of me. Post it again, explaining what is working and what is not working.

That link I posted the IDE to sata converter is on my dvd-rw, currently the dvd burner has power but cmos does not recognize it neither does windows 7 pro.
I have 2 hdd's on a single ide cable connected to the mobo, those are working fine.

Please read this closely: something is wrong with ide to sata converter.
I switch it to one of the hdd's to see if it works and it does when I hook up the ide cable to dvd burner it gets knocked out again and doesn't function at all until I unplug the ide cable from the mobo.

Are you sure it is the adapter and not the DVD drive? If the adapter works on the hard drive then it works. Have you got another optical to try with it? Even an old CD drive would work to test it.

Yes I am sure it is the adapter, after seeing your post 2 hours ago I retested your question on my system.
Everything works including dvd burner is now on the ide with with master hard drive (seagate).
The western digital is using the ide to sata adapter.

Now bare with me when I say this :

1.The msi motherboard that I have can SHOULD handle 2 ide drives, 2 sata drives.
2.I Have 2 different hdd's as stated in my signature.
3.I have a LG super DVD-RW+- from 2008 christmas.
4.The new Problem which I hope can be solved the 3 drives that are in my system are screwing around with each other.
Part of it has to do with little jumper selector on the drives.
Correct me if I am totally wrong but do I need to 2 hard drives that are from the same manufacturer one master and the other slaved so that they don't conflict with each other even if one is on ide and the other is on sata as master and slave ?

It almost sounds like a Hardware IR conflict but not quite sure, my mother has my western digital 80gb in her pc if I can use that and put a end to the hardware conflict should that stop this whole mess I stated in this thread ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom