Suggestions on Computer I'm Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewmontano

Beta member
Alright, well I've never built a computer before but I plan to for the first time. Here are the specs for the computer I wish to build. If anyone has suggestions of things I'm missing or changes I should make I'd GREATLY appreciate it as I really have no accessible guidance in regards to this.

SPECS

Motherboard: Asus Rampage II Extreme
Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2
Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D ATX Full Tower
Graphics Card: XFX HD-597A-CNF9 Radeon HD 5970
Memory: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
Harddrive: Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 (Terabyte)
CPU: Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
DVD Drive: SAMSUNG BLACK SH-S223

Looks pretty solid, nice choice on the case too. A couple of things I would change is, depending on what exactly you plan to do with the PC, move down to 6GB of RAM as that is more than sufficient for most (what speed is that ram anyway? You will want at least 1600mhz), and switch out the that Hitachi for a Western Digital Black 1tb. Have you looked into SSD's? That would be a great addition to your build. You could add a 80-160GB SSD for your primary, and have the 1tb as data/storage. Again, all depends on what you plan to do with the PC and of course your budget.

Ah I see, alright thanks a lot!! Yeah I was feeling ambitious with that 12 GB RAM, the only reasoning behind the choice being to have the most RAM possible as I figured that would result in the highest speed I could achieve. Alright I'll switch out Hitachi from my list and go with the Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB and I have not looked into SSD's. I plan on using my computer mainly for film editing, visual effects, and 3d modeling/animation, with occasional, but rare, gaming (perhaps). Would you say SSD's would be something I should look into? I'm about half way as far as cost goes, but I have no deadline in which I need the computer, however it would be nice to have earned the rest of the funds by the end of the summer, so I'm open to any suggestions. Preferably, I'm after the best computer I could possibly build for anything I may need a computer for, if that makes sense. Thanks again for all your help!

Sincerely,
Andrew Montano

If you have it in your budget, I would definitely look into getting an SSD. You will see a HUGE difference in speed when it comes to Windows starting up, programs loading, etc. Here is a nice Intel SSD (in and out of stock):

Newegg.com - Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M080G2R5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Solid State Disks - 80GB/$299

Also, since you're going to be using a lot of programs to do multimedia editing, RAM is going to be your friend. I still say go with 6GB now, and if you see performance issues when you're running multiple programs like that, bump it up to 12GB. Like you said you are in no hurry so it can't hurt. Again, go for at least 1600mhz if not more.

Oh ok! I'll do that then! So should I use the SSD for my OS, programs, games, etc. and then the terabyte harddrive for storage? By the way, I was planning on using Windows 7, any thoughts regarding that?

Thanks again!

That would be the ideal setup, you've got the right idea. Windows 7 is definitely the way to go...excellent OS. Have fun with the PC, you should definitely come back and post a build log. We all love to see pictures and logs around here!

We all love to see pictures and logs around here!

wood-log.jpg

:p

Great job on those parts....looks like you did some good reasearch.

I would just get 6GB of ram instead of the 12GB

Enjoy and be sure to let us know how you like it.....Any questions just post back here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom