$1,300 budget. Build or buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and another question.
This is my first computer build.
Do the items I am buying come with all of the cables I will need, or do I need to buy some cables?
I would hate to get all the parts but still have to wait another 3 days for the cables to come in.

Also, they took the free shipping off of my tower..so I switched to this one.
Got this dvd burner instead too. This.

My current total is $1,295. So, barely managed to fit the budget.

My friends are telling me that I am paying a lot for this computer. Since the monitor is $249 of the price..I'm really only paying $1050 for the computer.
Does that seem like a good price for a computer of this quality?

I would go with the OCZ Memory over the Corsair. It's faster Memory at a cheaper price and if it has a shipping charge it can't be more than 5 or 6 dollars so it's still the better deal.

You should be good with all the cables.

Your getting a great deal. If you tried to buy this pre-built it would cost at least $300-$500 more and the parts would be of a cheaper quality.

Well, I figured a couple things out since the last time I posted.
And I am pretty sure I have everything settled.

I found out that Tigerdirect does not charge tax for the state I am in, and they also have a deal on free shipping. So, I am buying my monitor, my CPU, and my GPU from Tigerdirect.

Intel i5-750 - $199.99
ATI Radeon 5770 - $179.99
Samsung 24" LCD - $249.99
--
Total: 629.97

That's pure savings on shipping and tax since the prices are the same as on Newegg.

Then I am buying the rest from Newegg.
This RAM because of the 1.65V voltage, the 8-8-8-24 timing, and the $20 Mail-In Rebate.

Switched to this tower because it was cheaper, had a coupon for free shipping, and I think it has better fans.

Everything else is the same.
Hard Drive I wanted is back in stock, so Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB - $74.99

Getting a DVD burner to cover all of my disc needs, since I will never use blu-ray.
Sticking with the corsair 650W PSU. I like that it was voted the best in 2009.

Anyways, everything accounted for...I am sitting at $1240.61 before Mail-In Rebates.
Meaning, $1,180.61 after rebates.

I guess the question now is..what should I add to the order?
My monitor comes with built in speakers which will hold me over until I can afford better.
I have a wireless keyboard and mouse already that I am pretty fond of.
I do not 'think' I will need a wireless network card, but if I end up wanting one I can always just order it.

Should I get a headset?
or like..a video game?

I will be plugging my XBOX 360 into my monitor as well.

I don't know. I have at least $70 I can still spend on whatever. (In reality, more like $200.)

Any ideas?
(Waiting on this check to go through so I have the money to order it...as soon as I have the money I am placing the orders.)

Pick up a video game fore sure! Mass Effect 2 should be awesome when it comes out on I think the 26th of this month.

I played Mass Effect for the first time last weekend.
It seemed like a solid game.
I didn't get too far though.

I am contemplating adding headphones or earbuds to my order. I listen to my zune while walking 3 miles to work and would like a comfortable replacement for the earaches I currently have.

Noise isolation, noise canceling, and comfort.
I guess those three things make for an expensive set.
I'd be willing to spend $25 - $30.
Any ideas?

I am not too learned on headsets, sorry man. Lot's of people do like Seinheiser, logitech, creative, razer, and others though. Might want to search the forums or start another thread on that one to get some better input.

Did a quick search and found these. I'm adding them to the order.
Especially since you mentioned the brand name.

You are right now, I should keep this thread to the computer.
But..I guess I am pretty much done.
Unless someone wants to throw in some last-minute input?

lol that's the same set has PJ suggested, looks like you are good to go. Have fun with the PC, make sure and come back and post a build log with pictures! We like to see that stuff around here :D

I might be too embarrassed to do that.
This is my first build.
I assume I just get all of the parts in the mail, and then start plugging stuff in.

I am rather OCD, so I imagine I will be very careful with the wiring.
Definitely not going to be sloppy.

I'm not in for a surprise am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom