Compaq Deskpro Boot Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to install Windows XP on a Compaq Deskpro slim style desktop computer. I connected a CD-ROM drive directly to the motherboard and to the power supply of the computer because it does not have it's own CD-ROM. When I insert the XP installation CD and then power on the comp, it says it's attempting boot from CD...then press any key to boot from CD. I press a key and then the CD-ROM drive spins up really fast and a message comes up on the screen saying "setup is inspecting your computers current configuration", then the screen is black, but the monitor is on and so is the computer, but nothing else happens. Eventually the CD-ROM drive stops spinning but the computer and monitor remain on with nothing on the screen. I have tried two different CD drives but still nothing. I have gone through this process several times but nothing. The computer is a Compaq Deskpro series PD1010. The computer has an 80 GB hard drive and 256 MB RAM. In case anyone asks, yes I formatted the hard drive. What could be the problem?

***UPDATE 2***: Alright. I have done some more things as per the instructions of several helpful forum members and still no go. Here is what I have done since last post:

1. Ran a memory test using memtest-86 for more than 12 hours. It passed 23 times with no errors

2. Tried several different hard drives

3. Tried another HD cable

4. Partitioned the 80 GB hard drive down to a 15 GB partition after a suggestion that maybe the 80 GB is too much for the bios to read. They said that if I partitioned it down to that, it would be the same as a smaller hard drive. (Keep in mind as well that when I got the computer, it had a 15 GB partition and that was what XP was running on. The reason I formatted the HD was because of Windows Enterprise Suite Virus.)

5. Tried installing several different operating systems including: Windows 98, Windows 2000 Pro, and Windows XP Pro. With XP I tried two seperate disks.

Even after all of this, I am still left with a computer that won't install an OS and several hard drives. The computer still freezes at some point during the beginning stages of installation, usually when it reboots after copying files ( at "press any key to boot from CD.....").

I know some of you will probably say to junk it, but it's almost like a vendetta with this thing. If anyone else has any more suggestions, I am all ears. Thanks.

Are you setting the jumpers correctly? Remeber using the IDE interface, or PATA, you must set 1 device as master and 1 device as slave. Having them both be master or slave will cause you issues.

Are you setting the jumpers correctly? Remeber using the IDE interface, or PATA, you must set 1 device as master and 1 device as slave. Having them both be master or slave will cause you issues.

I have both the hard drive and CD-ROM drive set to "CS" or cable select.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom