Base build off a dell dimension 3000 (STRICT BUDGET)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good stuff. Let us know how it goes.

x2

I have a non upgradeable Dimension 3000 also. Neither mine or my wife's Dell will play the new sims game that she has. Should have known.

Anyway I would like to get my computer up to speed to play at least that game and eventually replace my whole dell dog eventually. Would I need the same parts as gamerking?

This would be a first build for me - like I need a new hobby.

depends on what your budget is for some new parts.

The wife got permission from her IT guy to play her Sims game on her work Apple bada** laptop. So, no rush on gaming.

I understand that my video card is not upgradable in the Dell. I would like something powerful that I could upgrade a piece or few pieces at a time. I like the idea of the modular build of the pc. To spend like 100-150 at a time until I'm happy or is that even a good approach. I want a pc that can play todays games and use word and excel as well as serve as a media center - and whatever else I can come up with - for cheap. My dell just seems like an old ******* by todays standards.

well the dell is upgradable, its just not worth your money to keep investing in a really old machine.

you could upgrade it bit by bit, but for the first initial upgrade i would save up a little more like maybe $250.

the first major upgrade would be for the cpu, mobo, ram and probably psu because for a new cpu, you need a new mobo with the correct socket and a new mobo will also require new ram. and a new psu too so you wont have to worry about that crap 250w possibly frying your new parts.

then later on, bit by bit you could go on about upgrading to a decent gfx card, more ram, new hdd, etc.

I just located this thread as I'm trying to upgrade my parents dimension 3000. I just clean reinstalled xp on it and it's sluggish as they bought this with little on it years ago. I want to upgrade the ram on this for their daily use , minor programs and web surfing, and i saw the recommendations here for the 2gb ram at newegg for around $40 (WINTEC AMPX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400). what i was looking to get them was around $60 at newegg.

will this upgrade work with this stock setup? any drawbacks using this? I would also like to upgrade the video card but don't need anything that great just something to get them by for general web use and video watching.

M5264 Processor, 80546, 2.8, 1M, Pentium4 Prescott DT, 533, D0
1 J0201 Dual Inline Memory Module 256, 400M, 32X64 8K, 184
1 X2749 Modem, V.92, Data Fax, Internal Donny, Dell Americas Organization
1 X2746 Digital Video Disk Drive, 16X IDE, Half Height, External Midnight Gray
1 Y6575 Compact Disk Read Write, 48X32 Integrated Drive Electronics Samsung,
1 U4700 Hard Drive, 80GB, I, 7.2K, 2MEGB WD-XL80SD

thanks for any advice

Yeah, DDR ain't getting any cheaper. If you want 2GB, go with these:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Value 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory Model F1-3200PHU2-2GBNT - Desktop Memory
They cost a couple of bucks more (never buy to get a rebate), but they will be good RAM as G.Skill are top notch on quality.

My wife used a MX4000 in her computer for several years. She mainly used it for multi-media and casual gaming:
Newegg.com - JATON Video-208PCI-128TV GeForce MX4000 128MB 64-bit DDR PCI Low Profile Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

For the same price you can get this FX 5200 which will give more "umph" than the MX 4000:
Newegg.com - PNY VCGFX522PEB GeForce FX 5200 256MB 128-bit DDR PCI Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Comes with a rebate, but rebates can be iffy.

Those are really the only cards the power supply could support, but either would handle what you want it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom