OS upgrade and partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Fudleone

Baseband Member
Hello again,

I am currently running Win98SE. i have made an extended logical partition (using partition magic) which has some of my files and stuff. this is primarily so that if anything happens to the primary partition this logical partiton should *hopefully* not be affected. :confused:

therefore can i assume that if i load windows 2000 over windows 98 - the extended partiton will not become overwritten?

would i have any conflicting problems if i format the win2k installation ntfs and leave the extended partition fat32?

also will there be any problems with my GRUB boot manager in recognising win2k?

i suppose the answers are fairly straightforward for most of you Tech Gurus :p but i just need a bit of reassurance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thx.

Don Fudleone

btw, is there a way of not having to log in all the time on win2k boot? the sytem will primarily only have one user.

therefore can i assume that if i load windows 2000 over windows 98 - the extended partiton will not become overwritten?

Theoretically yes. As long as your data is not on the same partition as your OS, it should be fine.

would i have any conflicting problems if i format the win2k installation ntfs and leave the extended partition fat32?

Should be fine. NTFS operating systems can see Fat32 data, just not the other way around.

also will there be any problems with my GRUB boot manager in recognising win2k?

If grub is already installed, and you upgrade to 2k, you will probably have to reconfigure grub.

Have you already upgraded? Because it will say something to the effect of "Always assume that this user is logged on." Check that, put in your password and such, and there ya go...

mrdinkel said:
Have you already upgraded? Because it will say something to the effect of "Always assume that this user is logged on." Check that, put in your password and such, and there ya go...

Which of his questions was this in reference to? I dont understand where he asked about this.

thx guys,

i just want an upgrade from Win98 but my pc is not fast enough to comfortably hold XP for my liking.

i should start the upgrade soon.

Don Fudleone

don fudleone said:
thx guys,

i just want an upgrade from Win98 but my pc is not fast enough to comfortably hold XP for my liking.

i should start the upgrade soon.

Don Fudleone

I bet it would be plenty fast if you turn off the XP theme and all the pretty stuff.

I have had XP running wonderfully on a Pentium 233Mhz with 64 Mb RAM ;)

Originally posted bydon fudleone
btw, is there a way of not having to log in all the time on win2k boot? the sytem will primarily only have one user.

That is what I was referring to there, Ecniv.

I will agree w/ Ecniv about XP being fast enough if you disable the themes, and use a classic logon. You could even disable themes altogether if you wanted to.

well if you install win2k over 98 it shouldn't do jack unless you tell it to format the harddrive, I prefer keeping Fat32 even though ive got winxp home (because of networking with PC's that have 98) if your hard drive is separated to 2 virtual hard drives all the files should still be there after installing 2k but to be sure you might want to back the secondary hard drive files up on the primary hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom