$1,300 budget. Build or buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1337Carson

Baseband Member
That's the question.
I currently have an eMachine T6212.
It is Garbage. Junk. Trash.
I need a new computer, and I have $1,300 to spend on it.

I have wanted to build my own computer for a while now...mostly because it is hard for me to be completely satisfied with an already boxed PC.

If you know of a good deal on a PC (or even a laptop) please clue me in.
I would feel more comfortable building my own computer, but I wouldn't be opposed to buying one.

In any case, I have picked out a couple of items for my PC, assuming I build one.
All of these are up for question. I appreciate any input on anything.

CPU: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - $199.99

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D PRO LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - $169.99

GPU: XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - $179.99

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - $74.99

RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 - $94.99

Tower: Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $59.99

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - $89.99

Monitor: SAMSUNG ToC T220HD Rose Black 22" 5ms HDMI Widescreen HDTV Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 10000:1 Built in DTV Tuner & Dolby Digital Surround Speakers - $209.99

--------------------------------------------
Shipping: $0.00
Tax: $96.19
Instant savings: $140.00
Mail-In Rebate: $20
Total: $1136.11

Feel free to add things to my list to fill the gap of missing money.

I feel I should give a bit more of an explanation now.
I am not a big gamer, but I would like to have a system that would comfortably be able to handle current games as well as games in the future.
I want this computer to last me at least a decade.

Please give me any input you have.
Whether it is just you being nitpicky about a certain brand or you thinking another item may give a cost-efficient increase in performance.

Thank you in advance for your help.
- Carson

Welcome to the forums Carson. Build looks pretty good to me but you could save some good money by getting a less powerful PSU. Either way you should never expect a PC to last a decade, as an example, computers from 10 years ago had 10GB HDDs, 128MB of RAM and ran on Win98...

Welcome to the forums Carson. Build looks pretty good to me but you could save some good money by getting a less powerful PSU. Either way you should never expect a PC to last a decade, as an example, computers from 10 years ago had 10GB HDDs, 128MB of RAM and ran on Win98...

Agreed with Kmote, looks like a nice system though, Generally Building your own pc is better, normally higher spec, depends where you buy it from. Any you'd feel better cause it's something you've done and can customize yourself =D

My computer from 6 or so years ago had 128MB graphics card, 512MB ram, and a 160GB hard drive.

I understand computer technology will continue developing, but can video games really start requiring much more power than they do now?

I do not want this computer to be top of the line for a decade.
On a grading scale, I want a B- computer.

I went with the 700W power source because I know that component will last me a while.
It's only about $40 more than the other option I was considering.
Unless you have a recommendation?

Anyways, if you think the build is nice I guess I will go ahead and go with it.
I forgot to add a SATA drive into my list.
I guess I only need one. I don't need blu-ray, just CD/DVD RW.
What's an average price on those? $25?

I have to go to work though.
I won't be back for about 8 hours.

As always, I appreciate any input.

You could might be able to still play stuff on low in 5 years. If lowering graphics settings are acceptable to you, a high-end build can function as a gaming computer for about 5 years without upgrades.

I did look at that monitor..the thing is..I'm a cheapo.
The monitor you linked does not have free shipping.
Everything I picked out has free shipping..and I am totally proud of that.
My current monitor supports up to 1024x768...so the one I picked out is a huge (and much needed) upgrade.
Can you explain why resolution of your monitor would be a cost efficient increase?

Also, can you explain the RAM.
I noticed the latency was 8-8-8 instead of 9-9-9.
Unfortunately, that means nothing to me.

As for the PSU...I may consider the change.

It appears the HDD I picked out is currently out of stock.
...lame.

Those numbers are the timings. Lower timing numbers = faster ram.

He is just saying that a monitor with a higher resolution will make better use of your graphics card and is more future proof because it will become an out of date resolution at a later time and won't be have to be upgraded as soon. However, if you don't intend to upgrade your graphics card for a long time, you'll find yourself having to turn down the resolution in the future anyway, and you won't be making use of the higher res anyway.

I figured as much, but I wasn't sure.

Well, I'm not getting the money until tomorrow...so I still have a day to nitpick over the details.

I'll switch to the better monitor, since I will always have some way to use it.
I'm changing to the PSU that was mentioned as well.
After mail in rebates on that item, it is actually $10 cheaper.
Plus it still has the combo with my hard drive (which is still sold out...)

I switched to this RAM instead. It is free shipping, and I think just as good. Correct me if I am wrong.

I picked out this DVD/CD drive.

I believe I am currently at about $1,260.
I can't add my hard drive to my shopping cart right now since it is sold out.
I hope they get new ones soon. The 640GB was appealing.
But I can downgrade if it means ordering it faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom