Need help with first gaming computer build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unsung

Baseband Member
Please excuse my grammar.

Hi, I'm a college student with a bit cash left and I been wanting to build my own gaming computer about 3 years ago, but never had enough money to build one. My budget is $1200 or more and this computer will be strictly for gaming and nothing else really.

I do not need a keyboard, mouse, monitor, and speaker.

I am looking to play Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 on MAX setting with full AA and high resolution. I am also looking to play future game particularly Guild Wars 2 when it come out at least on above average setting so I am looking for a top of the line graphic card but am not looking to buy the best graphic card there is unless the price fit right.

If you want to know anything about what I am looking for please let me know or if I am missing some info.

With that said what are you guys suggestion?

Thanks

do you need an OS or do you already have one? and what resolution is your monitor?

do you need an OS or do you already have one? and what resolution is your monitor?

I don't need an OS and I believe my resolution is 1600 x 1200 (I don't have my monitor currently with me) and it a 20 inch monitor.

Thanks

ok so this could be a start.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW SATA CD/DVD Burner - Bulk - CD / DVD Burners

these come under budget, totaling $1,056 + shipping.

if you wanted to go with a core i7 920, you could squeeze it in but it would probably make you go over budget and it wouldnt really offer any major in-game performance improvements.

if you still want to saturate your budget with the parts i listed, instead of the 500gb i listed you could go with a 1tb hdd
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
or if you want, you could use both the 500gb and 1tb. the 500gb for your OS and programs and the 1tb for your data.

or if you wanted to safely OC the cpu, you could get an aftermarket cooler
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

I still need a case don't I?

Also I'm wondering where can I go to find info on how to build my computer?

And your are 100% sure all these part fit together?

Please excuse my grammar.

Hi, I'm a college student with a bit cash left and I been wanting to build my own gaming computer about 3 years ago, but never had enough money to build one. My budget is $1200 or more and this computer will be strictly for gaming and nothing else really.

I do not need a keyboard, mouse, monitor, and speaker.

I am looking to play Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 on MAX setting with full AA and high resolution. I am also looking to play future game particularly Guild Wars 2 when it come out at least on above average setting so I am looking for a top of the line graphic card but am not looking to buy the best graphic card there is unless the price fit right.

If you want to know anything about what I am looking for please let me know or if I am missing some info.

With that said what are you guys suggestion?

Thanks

This is a good deal here IMHO. You would need an operating system though. Add an extra $100.00 for Win 7

Hopefully you at least have xp 64bit as you will be loosing around 1.5gb of memory by using a 32bit OS.

You will want to go win7 64bit sooner than later for dx11 support. It is a bit of a waste to have a dx11 card on a os that only supports dx9.

Hi I decided to use some of the builds you guys gave me and other suggestion of other people build and have come up with a list of my own. Please tell me if everything MATCH, thanks!

Processor: Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Mobo: Newegg.com - ASUS P7P55 WS SuperComputer with NF200 LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Memory: Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 - Desktop Memory

Graphic Card: Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100282SR Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

PSU: (come free with graphic card) Newegg.com - Thermaltake TR2 W0388RU 600W ATX 12V v2.2 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Case: Newegg.com - XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish 1.0 mm SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Hard Drive: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive ( Do I need 500 gb harddrive if I have a 500 gb external harddrive already?

DvD rom: Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW SATA CD/DVD Burner - Bulk - CD / DVD Burners

Also I was wondering with my graphic card what size monitor do you think I should get and what resolution should I be playing at? (I have a monitor, so it not needed, but I want to know in case I decide to buy a new monitor)

Also what tools do I need to get build my computer?

Thanks!

I still need a case don't I?

Also I'm wondering where can I go to find info on how to build my computer?

And your are 100% sure all these part fit together?

i had already included a case, its comboed with a psu in the 3rd link i posted

heres a guide that can give you an idea of how the actual building process goes
The animated guide to Building a PC. Learn to build a PC from scratch with PCitYourself!
although that might not be axactly how your build will go, you can always ask here if you need help with something specific.

and yes, i am 100% sure the parts i listed would fit and work together.

now, regarding the build that you listed there:
i would not suggest getting that combo with the sapphire 5850 and the thermaltake psu because another member here has found some info which shows that it may be crap. you can stick with the case/psu combo i listed and it will work.

besides that, all thats really different from that parts you listed and what i listed is that you picked a more expensive mobo and a slightly less powerful gfx card.

so i mean, if you just want to know if what you listed will work, yes they should. but again, i would advise against that sapphire 5850/thermaltake combo because of the psu, the gfx card would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom