Please help! upgrading old comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terricjason1

Beta member
Hello, ive recently been having a lot of trouble with my computer and here ive bought so far these things from first to last: a new heat sink with fan for CPU, Nvidia GeForce9600GT (worked fine for a while, then i noticed i was getting the black screen overheating problem) so i investigated and figured i should buy a new power supply, i continued to use my 300 watt stock one with the new video card which i think was a big mistake because now with my new power supply hooked up it still has the error, and afterwards when i took a look at the 9600 it was extremely hot to the touch only after 5 minutes of my computer being on and smelt like mechanical burning which explains why my monitor would shut off when loading graphic heavy games.

So now i need your help to figure out what i should do, im not very techy but im contimplating getting a new computer or to keep upgrading my 2003 HP (i cant give exact specs at the time but if you can help id be more than happy to list them for you)
I play games like Eve Online and World of Warcraft and im looking (again) for a new video card that will run fine with a 500 watt power supply and gives high performance graphics in these games for under $150, i would also like to next replace my Hard drive and CPU/Motherboard.
My other option is to just invest in a new computer and save me the trouble in which i would pick the $1200 Velocity Micro Z30 What do you think? any feed back is appreciated, thanks!

it doesnt seem to me like it would be worth investing more money into a 7yr old machine. if you have the money, start with a clean slate and get a completely new one.

however, i wouldnt get that velocity pc. even among custom pre-builts it doesnt look like a good deal. for nearly $1200 you only get a 9800gt whereas a rig like this example
iBUYPOWER Computer :: Gamer Paladin E750
is not only cheaper, but comes with a MUCH faster hd 5850.

ofcourse in the best possible case, you could build it yourself instead paying to get it built for you and youd get more for your money.

you are having too many major issues with that computer. buy a new one.
replacing the MB, CPU, PS ,and graphics card really isnt worth it.
do as muffin man suggests or even start watching the dell deals. if you are a first time buyer from dell they sometimes offer no interest for 6 months and free shipping.
i look at this site but the offers usually expire quickly.
dell coupons, dell deals, computer coupons, laptop deals, Bargains - GotApex?
the offers expire as soon as dell sells enough units at the deal sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom